Questions for Garmin owners

Guest arffer

1) Which Garmin models have waypoint position averaging? Reading all the manuals, it looks like on the GPS 12 series (12, 12XL, 12CX, 12 MAP) have this feature.

2) Which Garmin models support tracking based on time, for example taking and recording on the track display a waypoint every second, and then allow you to zoom in on the resulting display to view the coordinates of any given waypoint?

Thanks!

------------------

Team CacheCows of Wisconsin

Guest Moun10Bike

/font>

Again, I don't know the full list, but my GPS III+ and GPSMap 76 both allow for tracking by time (as well as by distance or by "auto," which I assume is a mixture of both). Both also allow me to pan to a point on the display and zoom in on it. When doing this, the coordinates of the pointer are displayed on both units (and the pointer position is made the waypoint poition when hovering over the waypoint on the display).

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

30H/98F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest kbraband

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

1) Which Garmin models have waypoint position averaging? Reading all the manuals, it looks like on the GPS 12 series (12, 12XL, 12CX, 12 MAP) have this feature.

Garmin's eMap also has waypoint position averaging.

Thanks for the answers! After checking out the models mentioned, and throughly reading MANY Garmin manuals, I've come to this position:

• Quad antennas such as the GPS II+, GPS III+, GPS V, and Maggys have are a considerable advantage under heavy foliage compared to models with patch antennas.
  • As a result of much work and discussion on the issue of auto-averaging, the inability to disable waypoint averaging is a major problem. The Maggy Hula-wave is an interum (and silly) solution at best.
  • The ability to build track points based on movement OR time is an advantage, allowing a scatter pattern to be built when standing still as an alternative to averaging.

So, at present, either the Garmin GPS II+, GPS III+, or the new GPS V are the way for me to go in replacing my Maggy 315.

Unless Magellan releases firmware to allow the option to turn auto-averaging off, either for the 300 series or their new Meridian series, I'm moving to the Garmin camp's GPS series.

Thanks again for the answers I received!