Garmin firmware upgrades

raouljan

and you don't find level of customer service in many companies these days.

The only times I have been disapointed with their eforts were when the updates do not address the most important issues to us geocachers. However, I know Garmin's market spans many avocations and I think they all deserve attention. After all, the company's affirmation of the value of their customer service commitment will be seen, in part, by the increasing number of people to whom their products are sold.

So bring on the updates that will help the mariners, the hunters, the fisher-people (!) and the skydivers...

...just please fix the timezone thing!

FWIW,

BP

Sometimes I wait to see whether others report bugs; sometimes I upgrade as soon as I see a new version is available. I appreciate the FREE improvements that are made, but I'm still waiting for a few on my "wish list".

I'd sure like to be able to project waypoints in units smaller than 0.1 km or 0.1 mi. The current scale makes the feature pretty much useless for geocaching.

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

I'd sure like to be able to project waypoints in units smaller than 0.1 km or 0.1 mi. The current scale makes the feature pretty much useless for geocaching.

Which unit are you using? The Vista allows 0.01 km (ten meters) resolution.

Regarding MicroSoft, have you heard that while older versions of Windows had hundreds of thousands of bugs, the newer releases has "only" 65535?

They have a 16-bit counter for the bugs nowdays... icon_razz.gif

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Which unit are you using? The Vista allows 0.01 km (ten meters) resolution.

Regarding MicroSoft, have you heard that while older versions of Windows had hundreds of thousands of bugs, the newer releases has "only" 65535?

They have a 16-bit counter for the bugs nowdays... icon_razz.gif

Anders

My GPS76 projects waypoints in 00000.00 miles, this was improved from 00000.0 miles in one of the 8 firmware upgrades in the last year. But I usually use the "MEASURE DISTANCE" function on the map page to project a point, if the distance is less than 528 feet it will display the offset distance in 000.0 feet. This can be especially useful when you place a cache in a spot with poor reception, but good reception is available in an open area nearby. Just pace off the distance to the open area, take a bearing back to the cache location, and use the measure distance function on the GPS to project the position back to the cache.

I just noticed a few days ago that the GPS76 firmware has been updated to ver 2.09, which includes geocache icons and some marine icons I also recommended to Garmin a few months ago in an e-mail. These people actually listen to their customers!! How refreshing, now if Garmin would just diversify into the airline business.

FWIW,

CharlieP

I think this 0.1 km (or mile) resolution for projecting waypoints was reasonable when SA was still on. Nowdays, 10 meters (33 ft) is more within the accuracy of the receivers. When WAAS gets more common (when we get EGNOS running in Europe), maybe 0.001 km will be considered reasonable, if nothing else so to give you something to look at in the brochures.

Anders

Garmin will generally still release upgrades AFTER a unit is even discontinued. The Legend is still a current model. I'm sure it's in for quite a few more firmware upgrades.

I think it's great to get these new features. I have 4 Garmin gps units and anytime there's a new upgrade (including betas) I download them and use them. I have yet to be disappointed. Any real bugs seem to get taken care of very quickly.