Projecting Waypoints-- on a GPSMAP 76?

Guest Chris Juricich

Guest Chris Juricich

Here's my problem:

I want to understand the concept of 'projecting waypoints'. Here was the problem: a cache stated to go from the cache location waypoint at 112 deg heading and .22 miles. At that point one could find the cache. Well, presumably a compass would have been a help, but this GPSMAP 76 is supposed to help, right?

So-- I use the feature 'measure distance' starting from the cache waypoint location. I use the rocker arm to scroll around on the map till I'm at 112 deg heading and... at .20 miles (I haven't figured out how or if I'm able to get it to the hundredsth place) As the pointer reaches 112 deg heading and .20 miles from the cache, it shows on the map there as well as it's relative coords. Cool! I just copy them down! And I have the coords for the cache!

So-- am I doing this right? Or is there a setting to adjust the distance to the hundredths place or not?

Any assistance greatly appreciated! The cache note stated to be sure to bring my GPS manual because I'd need to know how to 'project waypoints'. Well, duh! No mention in my GPSMAP 76 manual at all of the concept. Just this 'measure distance' selection!!

Aaagghhh!!

Chris, without turning it on, you sound like you are on the right path. You did what I would do. I'll have to play with my map76 to see if the measurements go to hundreths (it would be a pain to use the rocker for this). Mapsource will measure distances and the bearings quite nicely. A further complication would be if the bearing is based on compass heading or true heading - keeping in mind the magnetic varience. It may throw you off a couple of feet but not too significantly.