Scratch my display; I ain't scared

todd04

There is a product called WriteRight for Palm and handspring PDA's that is almost perfect for protecting the LCD screen on your GPS. It's a self sticking clear film. Has a slight texture, but doesn't really affect viewing. Cut to fit your screen. Unfortunately it only comes in a 12 pak. Cost about 13 buck at officemax. Does anyone out there know of anything else like this?

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by hoodeedo:

Does anyone out there know of anything else like this?

Actually, yes. Also found at Officemax, you can get a roll (2" x 30 yards) of "Crystal Clear" Super Strength Mailing Tape for just a couple bucks. It works extremely well for protecting small LCD displays. I've used it on my cell phone and digital cameras. Since it has a high-gloss surface it does not affect the image. It's very durable and peels off cleanly, too. Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by hoodeedo:

There is a product called WriteRight for Palm and handspring PDA's that is almost perfect for protecting the LCD screen on your GPS

If you check the sci.geo.sattelite-nav newsgroup, some guy complained that WriteRight marred his screen. Is this for real??? Who knows. You can do a search for "WriteRight" on groups.google.com.

I even got the stuff and tried it on my Meridian. I did not like it. On my Palm, the film is only less than 1/4 inch from the LCD itself, and the display is fine.

On my meridian, there is a thick piece of plastic over the LCD. The film is far enough away to blur the display a lot. I immediately removed it.

Some people claim that simple vinyl works great.

quote:
Originally posted by Wow!:

Where can you purchase plain old clear vinyl

Try a local sign shop or silk-screening shop. They use the static-cling types. I have some of the clear static-cling vinyl that I've used in my sign business, and I tried it myself on some LCD displays. The problem is that it tends to lift off too easily, especially in the cold and damp. You really need a film with an adhesive. If you don't care for the clear mailing tape idea, you might want to get some clear premium sign vinyl.

I still think you'd be happy with the clear mailing tape. It's inexpensive and you get more than enough to replace it as often as necessary.

No matter what you use, you will get some tiny air bubbles trapped underneath unless you are very careful laying it in place. Let it contact at the center first, and slowly work toward the edges. Most air bubbles will dissipate on their own in a few days or so.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

I guess you could look for more exotic ways to protect your gpsr screen. The mailing tape suggested by Rich in NEPA works great. I put it on my garmin 12XL several years ago and the screen still looked like new when I had to send it into garmin for a internal battery problem. Garmin sent me back a factory rebuilt and I applied mailing tape to this one also. A cheap and most effective way to save your screen from scratches.

sidewinder

Lost and Found dept.

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

quote:
Originally posted by TMK:

Hey! All of these ideas are great, but what if it is a little late? How, if it is possible to take out a scratch or ding? Like the one I have in my Garmin III+.

Go to you local community airport to the pilots store they have cleaners and scratch removers for the plexiglass that work very well. been there done that

icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TMK:

Hey! All of these ideas are great, but what if it is a little late? How, if it is possible to take out a scratch or ding? Like the one I have in my Garmin III+.

Go to you local community airport to the pilots store they have cleaners and scratch removers for the plexiglass that work very well. been there done that

icon_biggrin.gif

I have a signwriting business and I use the clear laminating film we use to cover digital prints,I have had it on a mobile phone now for 2 years and the same on a digital camera. I have had no problems with it so far as it is quite strong and has resisted all I have given to it. I havent had to remove it as yet.