eMap waterproofing?

Guest Seamus

In researching the purchase of my first GPS unit, quite a few people have mentioned that as compared to the GPS-12XL, the eMap has a leaky battery compartment.

Is the battery door design one that would allow you to seal the cracks with electrical tape from the outside, to make it a bit more moisture-resistant? As the only display units I've actually seen have been bolted into "cages" on display panels, I haven't been able to check this myself. Maybe someone who actually owns one of these units could check, and report back?

Thanks!

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

Guest geofred

The battery cover is like that of a TV remote. You could tape it.

I have posted this before but perhaps it is worth repeating. I dropped my Emap in a lake. It was only underwater long enough for me to recover from the shock of seeing it fall in.) I pulled the batteries and 8mg module and shook the unit to get out as much water as possible. About an hour later I was able to apply heat from a hair dryer; blowing it up the module slot. I got lucky and it has been working well since. So water proofing the battery lid is not a big deal for me.

I noticed that the Garmin online store now has a rubber booty to slip over the eMap for additional bounce protection. $15.00

That's what I needed to hear!

Thanks for the information.

I'm not really looking to waterproof the unit to the extent that it can be dunked in a river for extended periods, but then again, I didn't plan on dropping a computer on my toe, either. Now I wear steel-toed boots, and I just plan on taping the battery door as a similar precaution against sudden rainstorms.

Thanks again!

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

I work at a circuit board factory and we used to make gps units by magellan for cars...the circuit board are waterwash board. meaning after certain hand placed parts, the board is then sent through a machine called a solder wave. when the board comes out the other end the parts are soldered onto the board but it still has to be cleaned of the flux and other chemicals so the circuit board is sent through a water wash the tested. if the circuits do get wet, blow drying the board should work.

Guest Cape Cod Cache

I'd recommend a '3rd party' afermarket waterproof pouch. I have a handheld GPS for boating, it keeps it dry,salt-free and adds bouyancy.Try a marine supply store,plenty on-line.

Guest kbraband

I use my eMap for lots of activities, including canoeing. Instead of buying a fancy waterproof case, I simply put it inside a zip lock bag, along with a piece of sytrofoam to make sure it floats. It works great, and you can operate the buttons while it's inside the bag.

Guest Team JackQuest

quote:
Originally posted by The Play-Doh Kid:

A little pricy at 25.00 but I found this at REI. The padding protects 3 sides of the unit and it floats like a cork. www.voyageur-gear.com/product.php?menu=Dry+Storage

(Scroll down to "Cell Phone/GPS Case")

[This message has been edited by The Play-Doh Kid (edited 26 August 2001).]

I use one of these too. They work great. The pouch has a snap that can be attached to belt loop, d ring or webbing on shoulder or sternum strap.

------------------

TEAM JackQuest (8H/11F)

Jack & Cyber

www.jackquest.com

Base Camp N 40° 20.268' W 75° 37.969' (WGS84)

Guest justdrivin

I do have an Aquapac and am very happy with it. It fits the GPS 12 great and floats when it is all closed up. I used it while searching for a few caches on islands on Lake Lanier here in Georgia..was on my See-doo. I took a leap of faith and threw it in the water and it was fine.

Guest Jebediah

The emap is an IPX2-rated GPSR like the Mag 315 and 330. Neither the keypad or the batt cover is rated for anything more than light droplets of water, and Garmin does not market the eMap as an outdoors receiver.

quote:
Originally posted by Jebediah:

The emap is an IPX2-rated GPSR like the Mag 315 and 330. Neither the keypad or the batt cover is rated for anything more than light droplets of water

My experience is that the unit is quite water resistant with the exception of the battery compartment and memory card slot. I have immersed the rest of mine several times to wash dirt off the display and keypad area and no water has penetrated. It has also been through extended showers on the handlebar of my bicycle without any problem. But I am careful to not let water get into the battery compartment. I use an Aquapak when kayaking and would recommend this for any GPSR.