Vista Car Adapter

I purchased a eTrex(generic) car adapter on eBay (however it is not made by Garmin). When I have it plugged into my Vista and I take the batteries out of my Vista, my Vista shuts off. How do you test the adapter to see if it is actually working (without leaving it plugged in overnight)?

quote:
How do you test the adapter to see if it is actually working (without leaving it plugged in overnight)?
Go to the "Main menu" screen and look at the little icon at the bottom left hand corner of the screen. If it's showing a battery then you're running off battery. Ifthe adapter is providing power then the icon turns into a little power lead.

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

quote:
Originally posted by HackAttack:

I purchased a eTrex(generic) car adapter on eBay (however it is not made by Garmin). When I have it plugged into my Vista and I take the batteries out of my Vista, my Vista shuts off. How do you test the adapter to see if it is actually working (without leaving it plugged in overnight)?

Thank you, it works. I'll try to close the thread.

Or... you can remove the plug from the unit. You should see the auto-power-off countdown message. Press any button to cancel the countdown.

Or... just turn on the backlight. The backlight stays on indefinitely when the unit detects an external power source. Otherwise it will turn off after the preset time period has elapsed.

PS_sig.gif

...or you could set the unit to Battery save and enable WAAS.

Look at the satellite screen. Since the unit is in battery save, there will be no satellite numbers above #32. Now plug in the cable. When powered externally, the Vista changes to Normal mode, and the WAAS satellite numbers start showing up.

An even more complicated method, anyone?

24148_200.jpg

Anders