Where and What GPS to get for a beginner?

We are new also but decided to get the best GPS we could afford. After much research on the internet we decided on the Meridian Platinum. I know it may be overkill for a beginner but we really enjoy the various features it has. Found it a erwincomp.com for $296, which included 2 day air shipping. We looked at all the local sporting goods and electronics stores and this was about $100 less than they wanted. Since receiving it a few days ago we have found 3 caches, although we struck out today on our hunt. icon_frown.gif

We are new also but decided to get the best GPS we could afford. After much research on the internet we decided on the Meridian Platinum. I know it may be overkill for a beginner but we really enjoy the various features it has. Found it a erwincomp.com for $296, which included 2 day air shipping. We looked at all the local sporting goods and electronics stores and this was about $100 less than they wanted. Since receiving it a few days ago we have found 3 caches, although we struck out today on our hunt. icon_frown.gif

if I were to only get one GPS, it would without question be the Garmin GPS V. I'm sure you'll find LOTS of support from other users on this.

It tracks really well, is the only inexpensive gps to give real turn-by-turn autorouting directions by itself, comes with a car mount, data cable AND 12V cigarette lighter adapter.

AND it comes with MapSource and City Select (now version 4.01 - very good). all these extras would cost well over $150 on another gps model, so the $399 or so it goes for is very cheap (in my opinion). It is an amazing unit.

Well, if you want a simple unit just to use for geocaching, hiking, and fishing, a simple yellow etrex is what a lot of people get. I definetly think the Garmin brand is best. I have a Garmin GPS 12, which is a little nicer then the yellow etrex, which I am extremely pleased with

jhwf4

For the money..I'd say a GPS 12Map(garmin)

I've only used garmin stuff any amount;had a GPS45 when they first hit the market loved it,easy to use worked good never a problem,TILL the ant. broke,buy that time the next generation of units was out,and I got a GPS 12,easy to use,good price,no problems,WAY better reception than the 45,I was in love!used it for 4 years now,still works great. I've compared the 12 to some of my freinds magellan's and an eagle(lowrance?), and find the 12 MUCH simpler to use and 95% as accurate,for 1/2 the price.

Now that the next level of units has come out,I convinced myself I NEEDED (really didnt icon_biggrin.gif) another nicer unit,I got a GPS76S,had it for 3 weeks now so far so good,theres ALOT more stuff on it,accuracy is a bit better than my 12,and still fairly simple to use.

Knowing all this, if I had it all to do over againand was looking for my FIRST unit,it would be a 12Map, no doubt about it,the ease and ability of a 12 with a map?,,not much more you really need.

For the money..I'd say a GPS 12Map(garmin)

I've only used garmin stuff any amount;had a GPS45 when they first hit the market loved it,easy to use worked good never a problem,TILL the ant. broke,buy that time the next generation of units was out,and I got a GPS 12,easy to use,good price,no problems,WAY better reception than the 45,I was in love!used it for 4 years now,still works great. I've compared the 12 to some of my freinds magellan's and an eagle(lowrance?), and find the 12 MUCH simpler to use and 95% as accurate,for 1/2 the price.

Now that the next level of units has come out,I convinced myself I NEEDED (really didnt icon_biggrin.gif) another nicer unit,I got a GPS76S,had it for 3 weeks now so far so good,theres ALOT more stuff on it,accuracy is a bit better than my 12,and still fairly simple to use.

Knowing all this, if I had it all to do over againand was looking for my FIRST unit,it would be a 12Map, no doubt about it,the ease and ability of a 12 with a map?,,not much more you really need.

I've used a friend's Magellan Map 330 for several months, and after much research decided to buy the Magellan Meridian Platinum. Because I'd already purchased MapSend Topo I had to stick to the Magellan brand. If you ever plan to use the GPS to help you navigate streets the Meridian series' Road Screen makes it almost impossible to miss a turn. I opted for the Platinum so that I could have as many features and expandable memory as possible. Found in online for $279 at FreshTracksMaps.com. Everybody else was selling for $350. Any unit will do well for finding lat/lon coordinates, try and figure out where else you might end up using the unit.

I have two separate thoughts on this.

If Geocaching is the only real use you have for a GPS, you could go bargain style or go for all you can afford.

If you go bargain style (basic yellow Etrex, Magellian 315...) you won't be out much if you give up the hobby. If you do really stick with the hobby, and later upgrade your GPS to a top of the line unit later, then your basic unit can become your "loaner" to hook other people on the sport. This route makes sense for someone who could afford two GPS units, or is really on a budget.

If you go whole hog up front (Meridian platinum, Garmin GPS V ect.), there is the risk that you may tire of Geocaching, but the more feature packed units (such as those with mapping and autorouting) are more useful in a car.

A more complex unit has a somewhat steeper learning curve, but for anyone technically minded enough to use the internet and a PC, even a top shelf unit wouldn't be too bad.

This seems the way to go for someone who can afford more than a base unit, but who doesn't have enough expendable cash to justify eventually owning two GPS recievers.