Car navigation with a Notebook PC

Still being relatively new to GPS can anyone tell me if I can hook my notebook PC up to a GPS (Garmin Legend) and use it with some form of software loaded on my notebook to navigate (with turn by turn directions and if poss voice prompts) around the US?

If so, can anyone reccommend a particular software package?

I've been "ummimg and ahhing" about buying a streetpilot to do this but as I have a notebook and Legend this could be a much cheaper option.

Thanks in advance.

Most mapping software has some way to do exactly that. If you are using Garmin's MapSource, just hook the GPSR to your laptop and tell it to navigate. If you are using another package, you will need to go into the settings on your GPSR and change the "INTERFACE" to "NMEA".

Garmin's MapSource has the added benefit of letting you download maps to your Legend. MapSource has several variations: MetroGuide, Roads and Recreation, Topo, City Select, Fishing Hotspots, City Navigator, etc. From my experience, MetroGuide is very good although some have pointed out that the level of detail makes the maps bigger than Roads and Rec when downloaded to your GPSR. MapSource Topo is decent but there are much better PC topo packages. The problem with non-Garmin topo packages is that you can't download the maps to your GPSR. But the Garmin topos are 1:100000 scale, which is only good enough for a planning--it definitely isn't good for using as a navigational tool in the field. Get paper quads for that. I have City Navigator and it isn't worth the cost of the jewel box. I've heard City Select isn't much better. I do not have experience with Fishing Hotspots.

I have a StreetPilot III and it is much easier to see and manipulate than a laptop connected to your handheld GPSR. If you can afford one, I'd say that is the way to go. The only problem is it is packaged with City Navigator, so you will need to get MetroGuide USA if you plan to travel outside a major metro area.

Good luck.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Try Delorme Street Atlas Deluxe. It has voice prompts and it will respond to your voice commands and questions. No auto routing, but you can create a route before departing and it will guide you with spoken and text turn directions on screen. I demo'd it for my girlfriend and even she was impressed. I didn't even have to use her lap! You may need a boom mic to reduce background noise so the voice engine can understand you. I like it.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc G.:

Try Delorme Street Atlas Deluxe. It has voice prompts and it will respond to your voice commands and questions. No auto routing, but you can create a route before departing and it will guide you with spoken and text turn directions on screen.

I've used Street Atlas since version 2 (Deluxe could be considered version 10). It has always had auto routing. That's been on the of the title's main selling points.

PS_sig.gif