Need a cheap unit with external antenna, no gimzos

Guest nicuss

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a GPS unit and just found this board. If any of you feel like chimming in I'll be grateful icon_smile.gif

Basically I'd like an inexpensive unit (used, off ebay is fine) that can accept a roof-mounted magnetic antenna, and has good tracking abilities in deep forest.

I'm a firm believer in good paper maps, so all I ask from the GPS thingie is two numbers to tell me where I am. The rest of the "features" are pretty much irrelevant to my standards. Being small and a long battery life could also be useful on ocasion.

So, any suggestions? Or, better yet, does your old unit that you no longer need meet these requirements? icon_smile.gif

I would dig around eBay and such places and get your self an older Garmin II+. Make sure you do not get a II you will want the plus. This is a very good GPS. The antenna it comes with can be remote mounted and it will except most ampliphied external antennas. It does not have mapping functions but has one of the best antenna/receiver combination going out there. You probable won't need an ampliphied antenna even under tree cover the antanna it comes with is that good. This is nearly the same antenna/reciever combination used in the mighty Garmin III+. I am sure if you have not heard about it you will. You should be able to find one on eBay for about $100 or so, maybe cheaper.

mcb