TeamGPS.com did NOT honor competitor's lower price!

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a Magellan Meridian Platinum fromHarmony Computers for $249 +$8 shipping after receiving the following email from Margaret at TeamGPS.com:

"No, they are not an authorized dealer nor do they ship immediately. Their

little catch is that they offer these really low prices, then they do not

ship for several days....or you can pay up to 50.00 in shipping. It is a

scam. Margaret"

A quick call to Harmony and they said they WERE an authorized dealer. So, I called Magellan and verified the fact.

"They're one of our biggest dealers, actually," was the response from the sales rep at Magellan. "If they have it in stock, you might want to go ahead and get it since WE are out of stock until sometime in October."

That was all it took. I called Leon at Harmony and ordered one. He said it would ship tomorrow and be here in five business days and that I would automatically receive an email from UPS with the tracking number.

So, we'll see about the shipping part of "Margaret"'s claims.

As for TeamGPS, if a company makes a claim, they should have the power to back it up and not give a lame excuse! (Let alone flat out LIE about it!)

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

A hundred dollar difference is pretty significant.

Yes it is but I'm a big fan of warranties and have paid that significat difference before and will again. NOT that I would do this but say I buy a Garmin GPS V in the not too distant future (which I plan on doing) and Garmin comes out with a GPS V in a year or two with expandable memory I could not that I would but I could take the first one back say I'm not happy with it and exchange up and pay the difference. They do not put a time limit on purchases. The way I feel about it is that you can never have enough STUFF so I'm sure I would just buy new but that option is there.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Harmony Computers seems to have a very good price on their units, $229 right now for the Meridian Gold. I just bought one last week for $247 at http://www.gpsdiscount.com.

This was after about 2 days searching online for a better price, and at the time, $247 was the best I could find, so, I feal I got a good deal, and the store ended up only being about 20 miles from where I live. I drove up and picked up the unit myself.

I am now looking for accessories. Harmony Computers accessorie prices are outragous. I have found the best prices around so far at GPS_Discount.

Anyway, that's just my 13 cents.

Zahrim....

I ordered a Platinum from Harmony a few weeks ago. They shipped it the next day and I had it in my hands in 3 days (NY to Chicago). Shipping was $8 (as listed on their website www.shopharmony.com) and they were the lowest price I could find on the web. They called my office to confirm the delivery address, since our address listed in the phone book is different from out receiving address. I even e-mailed them the day after I ordered it for a tracking number and got a response right away.

I would have no problem ordering from them again and recommending them to anyone.

And, yes, my Meridian turns black on the right side of the screen for a second during power-up.

CreagerStone...why don't you send your buddy Margaret the link to this thread!!

[This message was edited by Stunod on September 24, 2002 at 10:09 AM.]

I was thinking of doing just that after I receive my GPS. icon_wink.gif

Her answer to my reply was:

"That is not what our rep told us, but I guess that is neither here nor there. They have a very good price and you should buy from them. Thank

you."

I have a feeling that TeamGPS' cost on Meridian Platinums is a lot more than ShopHarmony's, so they're not willing to make less on a sale just to back up their promise!

As for ShopHarmony's prices on accessories, they're high and they will not price match. However, the Magellan rep told me that you do not have to buy the Map cd from the same place nor even at the same time to qualify for the $50 rebate. Just buy both before the end of the year and you'll qualify.

So, since gpsdiscount.com has the CDs for $75 or $78, buy them there and pay around $25 after the rebate.

I doubt anyone would argue that $25 is unreasonable for a map cd! Thanks for the link, Stunrod!

[This message was edited by CreagerStone Family on September 24, 2002 at 11:56 AM.]

I was thinking of doing just that after I receive my GPS. icon_wink.gif

Her answer to my reply was:

"That is not what our rep told us, but I guess that is neither here nor there. They have a very good price and you should buy from them. Thank

you."

I have a feeling that TeamGPS' cost on Meridian Platinums is a lot more than ShopHarmony's, so they're not willing to make less on a sale just to back up their promise!

As for ShopHarmony's prices on accessories, they're high and they will not price match. However, the Magellan rep told me that you do not have to buy the Map cd from the same place nor even at the same time to qualify for the $50 rebate. Just buy both before the end of the year and you'll qualify.

So, since gpsdiscount.com has the CDs for $75 or $78, buy them there and pay around $25 after the rebate.

I doubt anyone would argue that $25 is unreasonable for a map cd! Thanks for the link, Stunrod!

[This message was edited by CreagerStone Family on September 24, 2002 at 11:56 AM.]

I believe my total for the Platinum and Streets CD + shipping was $366. Minus the $50 rebate and $175 I got for my Etrex Summit on Ebay, my total out of pocket was $141!! Not bad for a kick-*** GPS.

I'm off to Best Buy tonight to look for a good camera case to use as a case for the Platinum.

Thanks for letting me know that the Platinum screen does go dark on the right at start-up. I thought I might have had a dud unit.

Sorry, I was being "cute" and didn't provide exact details that could be important to people who refer to this in the future.

My order from Harmony Computers shipped via UPS Ground the day after I ordered it. It arrived as scheduled exactly one week after I placed the order.

I received an autogenerated email with the tracking number and a clickable link to the tracking page. I could not be happier with the service or price.

I just wanted to relay my experience so far pertinent to the Harmony thread. I placed an order for the Meridian Platinum for $239.00 at about 11:30 central time on Monday Oct. 14th. I finally recieved an order confirmation last evening, Wednesday the 16th at around 7:00pm that it was shipped out ground and should be in my hot little hands on Tuesday the 22nd. I had e-mailed Harmony on Tuesday requesting ship date and had a reply the next day stating that it takes up to two days to ship. Point is that I guess the remark that was made about them not shipping right away is correct. They do state this on their site so it is no suprise but I do wonder why it takes so long to ship. Must be short handed. Hopefully all will be well and I will receive the unit on the promised(by UPS) date.

I did not order the accesories from Harmony as they are full list prices. I found the vehicle mount and cig pwr adapter at Amazon for $29.99 and $14.99 respectively. They are offered with free shipping if you are willing to wait quite a while for shipping, in this case it said the ship date would be October 25th. I decided to pay the $6.95 ground and it should be here by the 24th.

Amazon has the mapsend Topo for sale @ $69.95. Is this the best price around? Has anyone used Amazon and their free shipping?

quote:
takes up to two days to ship. Point is that I guess the remark that was made about them not shipping right away is correct.

that wait is a small price to pay for the great low price they sell the item. the reason they take a bit to ship is that the store is under renovation and they are somewhat chaotic there at the moment.

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

I just ordered a Magellean Meridian Platinum from Harmony this week too. The low price was too good to pass up. The favorable reviews of Harmony on the boards outweighed my apprehension about not ordering from a "big name" website. Since I am local to the NY Metro area hopefully the shipping will be quick. I probably could have just dropped by the store in person but my laziness won out that day. Oh well.....

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wheeler:

Amazon has the mapsend Topo for sale @ $69.95. Is this the best price around? Has anyone used Amazon and their free shipping?

That sounds the best I've heard of recently...and with free shipping, it would be that much harder to beat. As with other places, Amazon will hold their shipping prices down by using the cheapest means available, but I haven't found them abusive in that regard. You just have to be a little more patient. I think they actually say on the Amazon site that shipping will take 3 to 5 days longer.

I think I can't wait any longer...getting my orders in tonight.

quote:
Originally posted by Zahrim:

I am now looking for accessories. Harmony Computers accessorie prices are outragous. I have found the best prices around so far at GPS_Discount.

Anyway, that's just my 13 cents.

Zahrim....

I have ordered plenty of accessories and my GPS MAP 76S from gps_discount. They have excellent customer service and prices.

"I am umbilically connected to the temperate zone. It's brought me life. It's brought me love, I never have outgrown"----J. Buffett

well, I saw this thread and I wanted to put in my 2 cents.

I just ordered a Meridian Platinum (my first GPS, WOOHOO) from ShopHarmony on Friday (8/18/02) for $239.00 (plus shipping) It was shipped today (Monday 8/21/02)

So our friend "Margaret" is wrong again, mine was shipped the next business day. And, for short $$$ too.

Can't wait to find my first cache this weekend (hopefully)

Paul