GPS Reception in a new car

putt

sad.gif

Beware when you buy a new car. I purchased a new Buick Rendezvour and my Garmin Legend will not lock on to any satalites consistantly. Brcause the windscreen has been treated with a film to reflect the sun rays, ie satalites also. Solution buy a GPS that has an external antenna.

icon_frown.gif

I do have a radiating antena, and it was a hit or miss reception. I have resolved the problem tho...I bought a Garmin GPS V, It arrived today so tomorro is the day of destiny. Mrs Putt says I only bought a new car so I had the reason to get another GPS...not a bad thought!

quote:
Originally posted by putt:

icon_frown.gif

I do have a radiating antena, and it was a hit or miss reception. I have resolved the problem tho...I bought a Garmin GPS V, It arrived today so tomorro is the day of destiny. Mrs Putt says I only bought a new car so I had the reason to get another GPS...not a bad thought!

Well, I guess if the GPS V still does not work, you know what to do...return the Buick, and get a different vehicle. Just make sure you bring your GPSr when you go for a test drive! icon_smile.gif

Get a car with a moonroof, or beter yet a convertible! My Lincoln Mark VIII has excellent driving reception through the moonroof, and even OK on the dash because of the strong-sloped windshield.

Even holding it out the window is more cool than sticking antennas all over the car! Although if you drive a station wagon/mini van/s.u.v., the overall drop in 'coolness' will be negligible. ;-)

Happy driving,

Bob

I have a Pontiac Montana. It has the metalized windshield so the GPS will not work. My solution was to get a suction mount and attach it to the passengers window. Works great once you get the right angle set up. Bought the mount on eBay for $12.00 from northstar gps.

I have the same type of windshield in my Venture minivan. I bought a re-radiating antenna from Pc-Mobile to use with my Vista and have been very pleased. The signals are very strong and the unit is small, light, and easy to use. I was also impressed by the company's customer service. The unit stopped working not long after I started using it so I e-mailed them and described the problem. They replied promptly and quickly sent another, asking only that I return the first after the replacement arrived and offering to pay for the return shipping. In spite of the problem with the first unit, I would highly recommend this product and this company. As far as I am concerned, it makes it unnecessary to buy a unit with built-in remote antenna capability.

I've done some non-trivial number of caches from two different Chevy Venture Minibus^H^H^Hvans. It's true that the metal flakes in the front window that comprise the tinting totally hoses the GPS reception on my units, but I've found the Magellan window mounts for the 330 and the Meridian to be exceedingly effective. On that front window, the reception is almost zero until you move your GPS away from the tint, but from the side windows, the reception is fine.

I will disclaim that they're a total PITA on a drive-through window because you have to pop the three plungers before ordering your #2 combo meal...

quote:
Originally posted by mtnmunch:

I have a 2002 vehicle, and I have a film on all my windows, to cut down on the harmful rays from the sun. I have my Magellan mounted on the windshield with thier windsheild mount and I have no problem picking up satellites.

Not all newer cars has that problem, mostly just the GM line of cars, at least these are the worst ones. AND it is the factory tinting, not aftermarket tinting. And if you replace the windshield with a new windshield that is not from GM then you also do not have that problem.