Need opinion on E-trex models

Guest OldFrenchy

Guest OldFrenchy

I have an E-trex Summit purchased a year and a half ago, and it serves my backpacking needs adequately (altimeter a plus). I have seen that there are newer E-trex models out that have a mapping feature. How useful and effective is this mapping feature? I am considering involving my two young sons in geocaching, and wonder if the map addition is worth an upgrade. Any opinions or voices of experience?

Thanks!

OldFrenchy

Guest Iron Chef

The maps are nice but overall not necessary as long as you have paper maps or a real good idea of where you are going. Also, if you have a Summit, I wouldn't suggest "upgrading" to one of the new etrex units necessarily.

Try a few geocaches without the features offered in the newer units and see how it goes. I personally don't even use the maps that came with my Etrex Venture. I just use the Navigation screen to point me in the right direction and it doens't fail me too often (and even then it is usually something that I did and not the unit's fault).

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

quote:
Originally posted by OldFrenchy:

I have an E-trex Summit

I have a Summit too. It's perfectly adequate for geocaching, you don't need to go out and buy another just to get mapping (unless you really need to empty your wallet icon_wink.gif).

Cheers,

Donovan.

quote:
Originally posted by OldFrenchy:

I have an E-trex Summit

I have a Summit too. It's perfectly adequate for geocaching, you don't need to go out and buy another just to get mapping (unless you really need to empty your wallet icon_wink.gif).

Cheers,

Donovan.

I have had the Legend for about 3 months. I really enjoy it. The map feature is nice but you should not rely on it entirely then geocaching. Always take along a local map if you are not familiar with the area. The WAAS capability in nice, particularly here in Georgia since we are in the southern part of the US. Really pleased with the accuracy. It usually gets me within 10 ft of a cache, depending on the accuracy of the given coordidnates.

Guest Iron Chef

If you're really in the mood to spend some money then donate to Geocaching.com for development costs (because Jeremy does a great job) or one of the Red Cross Disaster Relief Funds. :~)

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!