Democrat/ Republican and Magellan/Garmin

Guest phantom4099

Guest phantom4099

I am wondering if your party preferences had anything to do with what GPS brand you prefer. I was kind of thinking the republicans may like Garmin better and democrats might prefer Magellan. Am I just nuts or is there something to it?

Wyatt W.

Sorry. I don't think that's the case. I am not a card carrying member of a party but tend to HEAVELY vote Republican. I am also a pretty hard core Magellanite. My perception is that Magellan would be the conservative choice.

geosign.gif

Guest rdwatson78

My ideology is closer to Libertarian than anything, but I tend to vote Republican and I have an eTrex Legend. Maybe there's something to your idea, though I don't see why or how.

rdw

Guest scooterj

Well, I own a Garmin but I tend to vote for people based upon their prior experience and ideologies and disregard what party they may happen to be affiliated with. (One exception: if the best-qualified candidate is Nazi I'll go with the second-best-qualified candidate. icon_wink.gif) As a whole though I have probably voted for slightly more Democrats than Republicans.

Guest scooterj

Well, I own a Garmin but I tend to vote for people based upon their prior experience and ideologies and disregard what party they may happen to be affiliated with. (One exception: if the best-qualified candidate is Nazi I'll go with the second-best-qualified candidate. icon_wink.gif) As a whole though I have probably voted for slightly more Democrats than Republicans.

Guest Hamster

Garmin GPS V and also probably mostly Libertarian. The problem with libertarians is that to define oneself as a particular party is kindof a violation of some of the ideals of libertarianhood. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rdwatson78:

My ideology is closer to Libertarian than anything, but I tend to vote Republican and I have an eTrex Legend. Maybe there's something to your idea, though I don't see why or how.

rdw

Guest Hamster

Garmin GPS V and also probably mostly Libertarian. The problem with libertarians is that to define oneself as a particular party is kindof a violation of some of the ideals of libertarianhood. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rdwatson78:

rdw

Guest Buck8Point

Conservative Republican Voter / Loyal Garmin Owner (GPS-40 - eTrex Vista - Soon to be Rhino 120)

Might be something to it after all.

------------------

Buck8Point

"If I can't fix it, It's definately Broke."

Guest threelanes

quote:
Originally posted by Hamster:

You seem confused about the Libertarian Party. Check out www.lp.org. The primary ideal of the LP: No one has the right to initiate force against another. As long as you hold to this, you have the right to do anything with your life and property.

And yes, I am a card carrying member that uses an eTrex Summit.

------------------

Guest threelanes

quote:
Originally posted by Hamster:

You seem confused about the Libertarian Party. Check out www.lp.org. The primary ideal of the LP: No one has the right to initiate force against another. As long as you hold to this, you have the right to do anything with your life and property.

------------------

Guest Hamster

How am I confused?

Here is a Quoute from the liberterian page. The Libertarian way is a logically consistent approach to politics based on the moral principle of self-ownership. Each individual has the right to control his or her own body, action, speech, and property. Government's only role is to help individuals defend themselves from force and fraud.

My point is, it seems to me that many libertarians tend to not be "tied" to any one party. It is a party of individualists... you understand the irony there?

That is why many "Libertarians" will say "I'm mostly libertarian" rather than "I'm a libertarian" I was just trying to point out the amusing irony of it all. icon_smile.gif Don't get me wrong, I was not trying to insult anyone, I consider myself to be "Mosty libertarian."

But we digress. I'm sure that the Garmin / Magellan debate is more an issue of Price vs. Performace vs. availibility than of political party. However, it would be interesting if there did turn out to be a correlation. We could have voter and GPS registration!

quote:
Originally posted by threelanes:

[This message has been edited by Hamster (edited 21 January 2002).]

Guest Hamster

How am I confused?

Here is a Quoute from the liberterian page. The Libertarian way is a logically consistent approach to politics based on the moral principle of self-ownership. Each individual has the right to control his or her own body, action, speech, and property. Government's only role is to help individuals defend themselves from force and fraud.

My point is, it seems to me that many libertarians tend to not be "tied" to any one party. It is a party of individualists... you understand the irony there?

That is why many "Libertarians" will say "I'm mostly libertarian" rather than "I'm a libertarian" I was just trying to point out the amusing irony of it all. icon_smile.gif Don't get me wrong, I was not trying to insult anyone, I consider myself to be "Mosty libertarian."

But we digress. I'm sure that the Garmin / Magellan debate is more an issue of Price vs. Performace vs. availibility than of political party. However, it would be interesting if there did turn out to be a correlation. We could have voter and GPS registration!

quote:
Originally posted by threelanes:

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Interesting post. For what it's worth, when I sold handhelds at a boating store, Garmin was the choice. I seem to notice hikers with more Magellans...

What do Communists use? Some old Soviet-era unit the size of a backback that uses a car battery for power? ( think of the 'Wild & Crazy Czechs' on old Saturday Night Live, and the vaccum cleaner they smuggled into the US) icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Interesting post. For what it's worth, when I sold handhelds at a boating store, Garmin was the choice. I seem to notice hikers with more Magellans...

What do Communists use? Some old Soviet-era unit the size of a backback that uses a car battery for power? ( think of the 'Wild & Crazy Czechs' on old Saturday Night Live, and the vaccum cleaner they smuggled into the US) icon_biggrin.gif

Guest jdbyrnes

Conservative Republican, Garmin. I didn't pick it due to my party affiliation, but as Hamster said, availability. I like the MeriGold, but couldn't find one to play with.

Guest VentureForth

Staunch hard core Republican AND religious right wing activist (aka Christian).

And I have a Magellan.

Then again, Garmin doesn't make a GPS Springboard for the Handspring Visor. If they did, then maybe, just maybe....

------------------

VentureForth out to the wild, wet forest...

Guest prv8eye

I'm a member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy and I own a Magellan Meridian Gold which I purchased with my tax rebate received through the efforts of our Republican president.

I almost purchased a Garmin Vista. My decision to go with Magellan had nothing to do with my party affiliation.

I'm glad I have the "right to choose"...any GPS unit I desire .

Gus Morrow- VRWC

Oceanside, CA

Guest Rich in NEPA

quote:
Originally posted by Max Wedge:

Hate to throw a monkey wrench into your theory...

Objectivist and a laissez-faire Capitalist, hence Republican (by default ? the lesser evil!) ==> Garmin GPS-12XL and GPSmap76

~Rich in NEPA~

====================================================================

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

====================================================================

[This message has been edited by Rich in NEPA (edited 23 January 2002).]

Guest Choberiba

I'm a right-wing-pinko-commie* who was born in the year of the monkey with B negative blood.

I admittedly do lean starboard on most issues, but that might just be a subconscience reaction to living in a place where anything-goes is the order of the day.

*I try my best to be hated by both camps.

In the last twelve months I've purchased five Garmins and a Maggy. This actually does reflect my political viewpoint quite nicely.

Owning four handguns in Berkeley is a lot like wearing tie-dye in Scotia.

My next GPSr will most likely be a Rino (or two)

No political afiliation and a 2x Garminian. I selected my units like I do my political crooks - weigh all the specs and pick the best (or least worst). Lately I find I have become a spiteful voter and I go 100% anti incumbant. Get the old corrupt pols out and the new corrupt ones in. This way, it shares the kickbacks and PAC gifts to a wider income base and keeps the economy going instead of concentrating all the graft wealth in one set of hands who may tend to hoard it. All the special interest groups are scrambled to spend more to buy the favors of the new regime, er, I mean, new administration. And when the pols realize they are in it for only 1 term, they will get off their a$$ and work faster/harder. More junkets means more revenue for the ailing airlines. It makes a lot of sense to me and I wish others would come on board with the idea. Eventually we would end up with better government because it just won't be profitable for the fly by night kickback seekers and they would leave public service to create energy brokerages, where the real money is. Only quality, ideals driven candidates would run.

"Vote smart, Vote anti-incumbant'

Guest CharlieP

I use a Garmin and tend to be conservative in my politics. The reason that conservatives, Republicans, and Libertarians prefer Garmin is clear to me. The Magellans will average your position, whether you want it to or not. They have decided what is best for you, and you have no choice in the matter. This type of thinkimg appeals only to liberal Democrats.

FWIW,

CharlieP icon_wink.gif

Guest CharlieP

I use a Garmin and tend to be conservative in my politics. The reason that conservatives, Republicans, and Libertarians prefer Garmin is clear to me. The Magellans will average your position, whether you want it to or not. They have decided what is best for you, and you have no choice in the matter. This type of thinkimg appeals only to liberal Democrats.

FWIW,

CharlieP icon_wink.gif

Guest jvavrus2000

"The Magellans will average your position, whether you want it to or not."

I believe the Garmins average your position and don't tell you about it. Does that make them conservatives????

I have Magellans and am registered Republican, mainly because registering "they're all crooks" doesn't allow you to vote in the primaries.

Guest VentureForth

You'd think that the tree-huggin', 'keep outta MY state', vegetarian liberal wackos would love this sport...

I guess they're too busy protesting geocachers.

------------------

VentureForth out to the wild, wet forest...

quote:
Originally posted by stkilda:

Democratic Garmin Owner here.

This is just my opinion, but I followed the last U.S. election pretty close and as far as I can see the Democrats will ruin your country if you give them too much power.

L:K

P.S. I voted for the Canadian Alliance last election.

Guest Rubberhead

It's not that geocachers tend to be Republicans; it's just that Democrats have a hard time using computers.

icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Rubberhead (edited 26 January 2002).]

Guest Rubberhead

It's not that geocachers tend to be Republicans; it's just that Democrats have a hard time using computers.

icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Rubberhead (edited 26 January 2002).]

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by stkilda:

Democratic Garmin Owner here.

This looks like a heavily Republican and Libertarian sport from this survey - I wonder why?

I think that is because conservatives tend to be people who deal, primarily, in facts, while liberals tend to be people who deal, primarily, in emotions.

GPS receivers are devices which provide factual information. They don't offer anything to feed, cloth or protect you. They only show you where you stand.

If you look at the thread on what Geocachers do for a living you'll see that, overwhelmingly, they are people who work in technical fields, not social services.

The conservative has a more pragmatic view of nature and "the environment". While conservatives look upon man as part of nature, liberals seem to look upon man as an intrusion upon it and will go to great links to prevent man's enjoyment or "use" of nature.

The prime example is the recent dispute over drilling for oil in the Anwar "Wilderness" area. The truth is that Anwar is a vast, mostly flat, BARREN, arctic area. But, in the liberal's attempt to prevent man from "exploiting" this barren, frozen, area they showed pictures, NOT of Anwar, but of lush Alaskan forrests and fields.

Because of strong emotion, their driving force, liberals are gullible to rhetoric and allow emotion to determine their "facts". Conservatives tend to let facts determine their emotions. They are people who hunt for details in order to determine their path, just like Geocachers.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest xoomboy

I'm the proud owner of an amazing Magellan Meridian Gold

I'm a member of the GREEN PARTY

I'm a staunch supporter of human rights and the pursuit of truth based on factual evidence

I have a degree in Environmental Sciences with a concentration in Toxicology and Chemistry (yep, the nasty stuff)

I'm a Web Developer (hey, do what you love) icon_smile.gif

I'm an armchair statistician and epidemiologist (geek, yes)

I believe in the preservation of pure, unspoiled natural habitat. (all of it)

I believe in catch and release fishing (I'm a sportsman).

I believe in careful scrutiny when it comes to human interaction with anything outside suburbia. (there are a lot of stupid people out there)

I believe that everyone should get out to see it and enjoy it, but if they touch it or blemish it, they than fall to a position no higher on my list than festering landfill ooze. (I'm going to have kids someday)

Matt

Guest xoomboy

I'm the proud owner of an amazing Magellan Meridian Gold

I'm a member of the GREEN PARTY

I'm a staunch supporter of human rights and the pursuit of truth based on factual evidence

I have a degree in Environmental Sciences with a concentration in Toxicology and Chemistry (yep, the nasty stuff)

I'm a Web Developer (hey, do what you love) icon_smile.gif

I'm an armchair statistician and epidemiologist (geek, yes)

I believe in the preservation of pure, unspoiled natural habitat. (all of it)

I believe in catch and release fishing (I'm a sportsman).

I believe in careful scrutiny when it comes to human interaction with anything outside suburbia. (there are a lot of stupid people out there)

I believe that everyone should get out to see it and enjoy it, but if they touch it or blemish it, they than fall to a position no higher on my list than festering landfill ooze. (I'm going to have kids someday)

Matt

Guest martin clan

Wow! After reading all this, I'm not sure I'm qualified to own a GPS, Garmin or otherwise icon_biggrin.gif I'm a dog trainer (no allegiance to Dems or Reps) with two toddlers (neither of whom have yet formed an opionion on what type of "party" they will be in) and we just recently found out about Geocaching and love it! It's one way of getting the kids interested in going out and exploring and participating in the outdoors and learning to honestly care about it - now show me any politician who will do that??!!

Guest martin clan

Wow! After reading all this, I'm not sure I'm qualified to own a GPS, Garmin or otherwise icon_biggrin.gif I'm a dog trainer (no allegiance to Dems or Reps) with two toddlers (neither of whom have yet formed an opionion on what type of "party" they will be in) and we just recently found out about Geocaching and love it! It's one way of getting the kids interested in going out and exploring and participating in the outdoors and learning to honestly care about it - now show me any politician who will do that??!!

Guest WaylandersMA

mm. Make that two Garmins now in the hands of one of those bleeding heart liberals. Begin gnashing teeth. icon_smile.gif

Paul M

A buddhist runs into the Pizza Parlor and says, "Make me one with everything".

[edit] liberals can't spell either

[This message has been edited by WaylandersMA (edited 28 January 2002).]

Guest WaylandersMA

mm. Make that two Garmins now in the hands of one of those bleeding heart liberals. Begin gnashing teeth. icon_smile.gif

Paul M

[edit] liberals can't spell either

[This message has been edited by WaylandersMA (edited 28 January 2002).]

Guest phantom4099

I think you all proved that I was nuts, I guess it is time to check into the asylum.

Wyatt W.

------------------

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Guest Firefishe

Greetings! Firefishe, outta Michigan

I also usually don't respond to posts like this, but because it was *so polite and lightheated,* I thought I would just this once!

So here's my "PolyBio" (wanna cracker?):

Independent, hands-down (I give Wayne State University in Detroit a mix of Left, Right, and Libertarian all the time at the polls hee).

Wonderfully-new to geocaching and am eager to buy a Garmin GPS Map 76! After playing around with that unit in my local Boater's World store, the eTrex units, and Magellan Map 330 (Marine Version), I am sold on the Garmin GPS Map 76--mainly for it's ease of use! I did try one of Magellan's new Meridian units..nice keypad, but I liked the GPS Map 76's overall construction better...and solid construction is important to we indies--when we build things ourselves, like Michigan Cedar Log Cabins, we like Our Trusted Manufacturer's product to hold up under a lot of scrutinous stress--often mostly self-inflicted icon_wink.gif.

Independent GPS users who also happen to be Wiccan, also have the uniquely-indepently-thinking-option of combining spell-casting with GPS precision--One need never worry about psychically missing another temporary *Poof* spell again--especially when the spell you intended for your favorite city councilman ends up affecting your Dear Aunt Hilda (Republican Who Owns A Benelli 12 Gauge!) icon_wink.gif . All auntie's are psychic and can wield them better than we youngin's icon_wink.gif).

Well, that's it for now. Don't have a cow, man! Go geocaching instead!

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Guest Firefishe

Greetings! Firefishe, outta Michigan

I also usually don't respond to posts like this, but because it was *so polite and lightheated,* I thought I would just this once!

So here's my "PolyBio" (wanna cracker?):

Independent, hands-down (I give Wayne State University in Detroit a mix of Left, Right, and Libertarian all the time at the polls hee).

Wonderfully-new to geocaching and am eager to buy a Garmin GPS Map 76! After playing around with that unit in my local Boater's World store, the eTrex units, and Magellan Map 330 (Marine Version), I am sold on the Garmin GPS Map 76--mainly for it's ease of use! I did try one of Magellan's new Meridian units..nice keypad, but I liked the GPS Map 76's overall construction better...and solid construction is important to we indies--when we build things ourselves, like Michigan Cedar Log Cabins, we like Our Trusted Manufacturer's product to hold up under a lot of scrutinous stress--often mostly self-inflicted icon_wink.gif.

Independent GPS users who also happen to be Wiccan, also have the uniquely-indepently-thinking-option of combining spell-casting with GPS precision--One need never worry about psychically missing another temporary *Poof* spell again--especially when the spell you intended for your favorite city councilman ends up affecting your Dear Aunt Hilda (Republican Who Owns A Benelli 12 Gauge!) icon_wink.gif . All auntie's are psychic and can wield them better than we youngin's icon_wink.gif).

Well, that's it for now. Don't have a cow, man! Go geocaching instead!

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Guest thingsthatexplode

Independent thinker (or so I would like to believe), pagan, Maggie 315 owner because I got one for Christmas. Had I known they were so neat and so powerful I would have bought one for myself long ago. The only drawback: lack of Mac support. Maybe someday, till then there's PanTerra and my Wintel box.

thingsthatexplode

go BANG!

Republican / Garmin (eTrex Vista of course)

Geocaching requires initiative and disposable income - attributes lacking in most democrats, who would rather watch a geocaching reality show on the idiot box while seated on the couch.

Yes, Virginia, this is flame bait! icon_smile.gif

N 35° 5.079'

W 106° 23.389'

Republican / Garmin (eTrex Vista of course)

Geocaching requires initiative and disposable income - attributes lacking in most democrats, who would rather watch a geocaching reality show on the idiot box while seated on the couch.

Yes, Virginia, this is flame bait! icon_smile.gif

N 35° 5.079'

W 106° 23.389'

quote:
Originally posted by WaylandersMA:

The Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor "Make me one with everything" as he hands him a $20 bill.

The vendor pockets the bill and hands the Buddhist his hotdog. The Buddhist says "What about my change?", to which the vendor replies "Change must come from within..."

AtP