Slighty OT: data card reader compatabilities

At a local store I saw a USB card reader for SD/MMC and thought that would be great for my Merigreen. But I would also like to be able to read the Smartmedia cards that my Olympus camera uses.

Does anyone know if an SD/MMC reader/writer is compatible with Smartmedia cards?

Team Kender - Willow and Dan exploring the Bay Area backroads!

Olympus is notorius for having to format the card in the camera.

My card reader does CF, SD/MMC and SM cards plus the MS. So you can find the 6 in 1 or 7 in 1 or whatever they are up too and have it read everything. My reader works fine.

What I don't know is about that Olympus special format, you might want to check and see if your card reader will read cards formatted in the Olympus (since vice versa has a high chance of not working)

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Ok, thanks for the info. I was asking if those particular card types were interchangable because I saw someone mention somewhere that MMC and Smartmedia were basically the same, with one just being slower than the other.

So if that was true, it's easier for me to pick up the MMC/SD reader than to order a 6 in 1 online. If it's not true then I'll pick up the 6 in 1 for sure.

Actually got a reply from a card reader tech support guy and he said that definately, Smartdisk cards wont work in MMC/SD readers.

I bought a 6-in-1 on ebay. Then I happened to see at Target yesterday an 8-in-1 for $25. Oh well, all I need anyway is to read smartdisk and SD, so I'm all set icon_smile.gif

As far as I know, there's no such thing as "Smartdisk". SmartMedia (SM) - yes, and SecureDigital (SD) - yes, but not "Smartdisk".

SecureDigital (SD) and MultiMedia Cards (MMC) are compatible with each other, but not with SmartMedia (SM).

quote:
Originally posted by EagleI:

As far as I know, there's no such thing as "Smartdisk". SmartMedia (SM) - yes, and SecureDigital (SD) - yes, but not "Smartdisk".

SecureDigital (SD) and MultiMedia Cards (MMC) are compatible with each other, but not with SmartMedia (SM).

haha, yeah, that's what I meant. Smartmedia.