SD card for Meridian?

Looking into adding an SD card for my Meridian. Being me, I'm trying to save a buck or two by purchasing a card other than Magellan branded. I've found a SanDisk 64MB MMC/SD card for $52.44 at http://www.emscomputing.com/ and 128MB SanDisk for $89.95 at www.e-cost.com. Even though the SD standard isn't supposed to be vendor-specific, are there any red flags or landmines I should know about before buying a third-party card?

Thanks,

Andre

...all brands of SD cards work well. On another, un-named site, I found this:

quote:
Looking around as well as hearing it in some of the groups I was able to locate a great place for buying additional memory for the Meridian line of GPSR's. Just use this link Secure Digital Memory and in the search field of this site type in "Secure Digital"

32 megs of memory is only 25.00 and 64 megs is 46.00

You can't beat that anywheres!

Magellan sells 32 megs for 99.00 I think.

This type of memory has been tested on the Meridians and works fine.

I hate to forward this annonymously but this board censors the name of the other site.

AtP

SD cards use a different protocol for I/O operations, and are compatible with MMC applications. MMC cards are not forward compatible, and do bad things with Meridians. I think this was discussed a few months ago when the Meridians first came out. I use a Sandisk SD card in my Merigold, love it.

SanDisk is an excellent brand...they develop a lot of the tech and OEM the cards to other vendors. I have several (32, 128) for my Meridian.

See the other thread ("128Mb memory card for meridian") for other info on a SD card + reader available cheap at buy.com.

The problem with MMC in Meridians is that they are slightly thinner and they don't latch in like SD cards. Put those together in something like a Meridian and you get all sorts of flaky behavior (card dropping out, lockups, etc). The fact that SD cards have a much higher transfer rate would probably be a factor if it weren't for the fact that physical design specs make MMC not work, anyway.

Avoid the Magellan brand unless you are filthy rich. Just stick to a known name brand: Toshiba, Panasonic, SanDisk, etc.

Some people have reported flawless performance using MM cards, others have had problems. If you already have a MM card, go ahead and try it. If you are going to buy, get SD.

So far, I have not heard of any problems with a SD card being incompatible.

As far as SD writers go, get a good name brand. This means that driver updates will likely be available in the future.

-----

Any similarity between my opinions and reality is entirely coincidental.

--Harrkev