Yellow ETrex Question

I use my cable to upgrade my Yellow's firmware. Garmin updates the firmware every so often and posts the new code on it's website. I also use it with ExpertGPS software (www.expertgps.com) for viewing geocache locations on topographic maps and aerial photos. I also download geocache data directly into the eTrex so I don't have any more fat finger problems entering data. Have you ever spent an entire afternoon looking for a cache "you just KNOW is here" only to discover you entered the coordinates wrong and were looking a mile from the actual cache site.

Lou Catozzi

Originally posted by hountzmj:

Hey there...

I have the basic yellow Etrex. Will the Etrex data cable available from Garmin work with my unit? If so... what will I be able to do? Download Waypoints, backup tracks I assume??

Thanks!

Matt

icon_smile.gif[/quote

You can do everything with the eTrex that you can with Garmin's better (or more expensive, should I say) gps units except load maps.

My son has the eTrex, and I have a V and Map76. He hooks up his little eTrex and transferes his tracks daily into MapSource. Then he can see where he's been, etc. He also looks up places nearby that he likes (like the video store) and puts them in as waypoints on the computer.

There's also a great program that will plot the eTrex's tracks in 3D and show you elevation profiles. I couldn't remember where I got it, so I uploaded it to my own site, if anyone wants it:

http://www.randyjensenphoto.com/gps/height_dis.zip

He kept his eTrex on during a recent trip through the mountains, and totally loved seeing the elevation.

Also, another friend of mine puts his eTrex in his RC plane. Then he can see the route in 3D of the plane when he gets back home.

i buy all my GPS software and accesories on eBay since i can get them dirt cheap, even original garmin products, i bought a data cable and the Delorme street atlas 8.0for 7 dollars(9.0 is available but more expensive) I use this on my computer and laptop so i can see all streets, businesses, restraunts, points of interest, in real time when i am driving around, you can even download/upload waypoints, also you can have the computer plan out routes and then download them to the gps,also you can store your tracks and waypoints on the computer to free up memory on the gps unit, even with this plain eTrex you can do this and much more, check out www.delorme.com or you can download free programs for your gps, just search the internet, i have found many free programs that have topo maps or actual aerial photos like microsofts terra server, if you have any questions or want to know links to free programs email me at kevin917z@hotmail.com