Automotive mount photos anyone?

Guest Hamster

Guest Hamster

Hi Folks. I'm looking for ideas on how best to mount my GPS V in the car. I asked on the sci.geo.satellite-nav group, but people quickly took the thread off topic.

What I'd like is to see some photos of people's GPS installations in their cars, bikes boats etc. I think it would be interesting for everyone and would give us all ideas.

I'll be posting my own pics shortly.

I don't have a V but I did have a III+ and I alway found that velcro worked the best in my truck. Put the hooks on the dash and the softer loops on the bottom of the GPS and away you go. Work great for me.

Later

mcb

Guest Hamster

Ok Folks, as promised, here are my pictures.

The first is with flash, the second without. They show my GPS V in its place on my Plymouth Breeze dash. I have placed it slightly off center so as not to obscure my view. Not sure what to do with the wires, so I have them draped over my radio scanner mounting bracket... need to figure out somehting better there.

I look forward to seeing everyone's setups:

Pic1:

gpsmount1.jpg

Pic2:

gpsmount2.jpg

Purchased my mount from Best Buy. The best part about this one is you can rotate the grip to hold a vertical GPS unit or cell phone. It also uses suction cups to adhere to the window instead of sticking to the dash. It's mounted in a '96 Saturn SL2.

my_gps5.jpg

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 19 November 2001).]

Guest Hamster

Very Cool! does that have a quick release? Thats one thing that bothers me about the Garmin mount, is that there is no way to very quickly release the GPS V from its "holder" which screws in the back.

quote:
Originally posted by Hamster:

Very Cool! does that have a quick release?

You can barely see it, but on the right bottom you can see a small red button. It releases the springs that hold the GPS in place. So yeah, it has a quick release.

Jeremy

Guest Hamster

I was wondering how long it would be before someone said that! icon_smile.gif ehhe I had the ignition in the "middle position" That is, all electrical systems on, engine off. And in that position the oil light always comes on.

hehe

Thanks for the warning! The car does drink alot of oil.

Guest Hamster

I was wondering how long it would be before someone said that! icon_smile.gif ehhe I had the ignition in the "middle position" That is, all electrical systems on, engine off. And in that position the oil light always comes on.

hehe

Thanks for the warning! The car does drink alot of oil.

Guest mrgigabyte

I have invented the ultimate bike mount for handle bars. After hundreds of hours of design, consultant reports, beta testing, product development, field tests etc., it is ready for the official launch.

Although the components look like a piece of foam pipe installation taped to the handlebars and a couple of produce rubber bands, they are really all highly refined space age proprietary materials.

The GPSr is placed on the resilient foam like backing. This material prevents the unit from moving while providing excellent shock absorption.

The unit is held to the backing with two specially crafted bands of secret elastomer composition. These are looped around the top of the unit, under the handle bar and then around bottom of the unit once again. These bands are specifically designed to hold the unit in place though out the most extreme biking while at the same time will dislodge should a sever impact occur thereby preventing undue shock to the unit.

Patents are pending on this device. I assume Jeremy will want to offer these for sale on the site. As such, I need to hit the grocery store and pick up another bunch of asparagus!

MrGigabyte Bike Bar Mount ...

bar1.jpg

bar0.jpg

[This message has been edited by mrgigabyte (edited 19 November 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by Hamster:

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!! You should contact garmin to see if they will hire you on their product design team!!

Don't do that! They will want their name on the patent and you will miss out on all the royalties.

Guest Gliderguy

I have no pictures to show, but I am totally sold on RAM's suction cup mount for my truck, and their ball mount for my motorcycle. In either case, I dont think anything short of a baseball bat would remove my GPSR from either vehicle. Well, with the possible expection of Fast Fingers Freddie, but he is much taller than a baseball bat...

Guest gstrong1

Ram makes a great line of mounts. 98 Pontiac TranSport Van has a recessed,tray like area on top of the dash. Wanted to mount my MAP76. Made up a polished aluminum plate & modified it so it fit snug in the recess. Permanently screwed the base of the mount to the plate. Swivel the unit to the best angle, snug down the adjusting knob & I'm off. When I'm done, just pull the suction cup external antenna mount from the upper corner of the windshield, unplug the 12 volt adapter & pull the whole setup. Went with the external antenna because this particular model vehicle has the radio antenna built into the windshield. The WHOLE windshield, except for about 6 sq. inches in each top corner. No GPS is going to hold a satellite lock sitting on the dash. Works great.

1960_400.jpg

1960_500.jpg

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

[This message has been edited by gstrong1 (edited 19 November 2001).]

Guest Alphawolf

Here is the standard garmin dash mount in my Montero (in the middle of the Wyoming desert somewhere) The wire coming from the top is the reomote antenna wire. The bottom wire is the 12 volt adapter. Not a great shot, but it gets the point across I guess.

[Note from Jeremy: Alphawolf... You're using an image server that posts an ad, so you can't use a referrer to link to it. Just have the link here: http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/alphawolf/PDC_0006.jpg ]

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 19 November 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by mrgigabyte:

I have invented the ultimate bike mount for handle bars. ...

Patents are pending on this device.

Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to contest your patent application on the basis of prior art. As posted on June 21, 1999 in the newsgroup sci.geo.satellite-nav, I described the original version of my bicycle handlebar mount for a GPS receiver as follows:

"I position the GPS over the handlebars and stem and use 4

rubber bands (two on each end) to secure it in place. I also loop the

lanyard around the handlebars for security, but the rubber bands have never

failed yet. I replace them roughly weekly, but our newspaper deliverer

keeps us well stocked."

Later articles supplemented the description with the addition of a piece of foam placed under the GPS receiver and also held in place by rubber bands. Note that the concept is the same as you describe, but with additional redundancy.

I must ask you to cease and desist immediately from pursuing your patent claim or you will be hearing from my attorneys. icon_smile.gif

BTW, the rubber-band mount has worked flawlessly now for both a GPS12 and an eMap from early '99 on.

quote:
Originally posted by mrgigabyte:

I have invented the ultimate bike mount for handle bars. ...

Patents are pending on this device.

Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to contest your patent application on the basis of prior art. As posted on June 21, 1999 in the newsgroup sci.geo.satellite-nav, I described the original version of my bicycle handlebar mount for a GPS receiver as follows:

"I position the GPS over the handlebars and stem and use 4

rubber bands (two on each end) to secure it in place. I also loop the

lanyard around the handlebars for security, but the rubber bands have never

failed yet. I replace them roughly weekly, but our newspaper deliverer

keeps us well stocked."

Later articles supplemented the description with the addition of a piece of foam placed under the GPS receiver and also held in place by rubber bands. Note that the concept is the same as you describe, but with additional redundancy.

I must ask you to cease and desist immediately from pursuing your patent claim or you will be hearing from my attorneys. icon_smile.gif

BTW, the rubber-band mount has worked flawlessly now for both a GPS12 and an eMap from early '99 on.

AlphaWolf...

First you must upload your image so that is accessible via a URL pointer. Then simply use the following syntax (sans the quotes used here to prevent actual link)...

"yourimage.jpg "

For complete info on using HTML tags in these forums go here or follow the "faq" link at the top of this page.

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 19 November 2001).]

Guest Markwell

3fUCy1KxTHRlhBuSXR0kNYEHaU0WiPyP00BF.jpg

The old fold and stuff. I have a replacement lanyard for my GPS that I got in Tennessee on a cache hunt (ironically on the same hunt where I lost the original). I fold it a couple of times underneath the GPS and then stuff the GPS vertically into my steering wheel. Set the readout on MPH and I've got a speedometer as well.

That way, I have all of the information in the same line of vision as I would while normally driving.

Hey Gimpy...

Ever had trouble getting reception out of the windshield of your van? My buddy in 'bama has an old (early 90's) TranSport and a more current (late 98's) Montana. When we were down visiting this summer, he and I rode around in the transport a while and I had good reception on the 1/2 acre dash :^). Then we rode to New Orleans in the Montana and I couldn't pick up squat on the dash. I could get birds out of the side window but not under the windshield. I'm guessing that there is some sort of anti-satellite coating on his windshield. Anybody else seen this on a GM truck?

BTW, I have a pretty rigged dash mount for my GPSMAP76 in my Cherokee. I use a spring clamp to hold the Garmin marine mount onto the dash. If I remember when I get home, I'll take a pic.

What to do w/ the power wire seems to be a universal issue. That is one reason I want an external antenna. I'm liking the Micro Mouse or the Might Mouse II. Then the unit can be used in my co-pilot's lap, in the back seat, wherever. No need for it on the dash. Of course ther is still the issue of the antenna wire, but the antenna can be stuck to the roof and brought in around the door or in a window, keeping it out of the radio buttons.

Sorry for the long post. Too much coffee = diarrhea of the keyboard.

mrgigabyte.

I know this is a late post but I just read your Ultimate Bike Mount For Handle Bars post

The first 2 paragraphs, I laughed so hard I got tears in my eyes!

Thanks.

Cache-on

BoB

I use the RAM mount with suction cup on the windshield. This allows me easy switching between cars. Unlike the Garmin mount, you don't have to take the battery cover off. I also have a RAM bicycle mount on my walking stick so I can quickly switch the Etrex Vista assembly used in the car sans suction cup to the pole. It's nice on the pole as it faces its patch antenna up and I can plant the pole into the ground and get allow a good lock since the unit is stable.

Sorry I don't have pictures but the pole option picture is posted in another thread where I got the idea.

Alan2

Guest JollyBGood

quote:
Ever had trouble getting reception out of the windshield of your van? ... I'm guessing that there is some sort of anti-satellite coating on his windshield. Anybody else seen this on a GM truck?]

My Chevy Astro Van is notorious for blocking signals on my GPSV. I thought it was my unit at first until a buddy with a Magellan rode with me one day and he kept losing his lock. I have no problems in ANY other vehicle but when in my Astro? It's gets real iffy as to whether or not I'm able to hold a signal.

[This message has been edited by JollyBGood (edited 26 January 2002).]

Guest gstrong1

I had the same problem after I bought a new Pontiac Van. Couldn't figure it out, until I realized that the Vans radio antenna is built into the windshield. No visible external antenna should have been my first clue. Now the only units I use on the road are the ones I can use my Garmin GA27C external antenna with. GPSMAP76 & the eMap.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY