eTrex Legend Firmware Update

Just received my eTrex Legend in the post this morning! It arrived with firmware version 2.38 (which seems slightly odd, as people have been reporting 3.20 shipped on new devices icon_confused.gif).

However, my main problem is, when I run the 3.40 updater.exe, and try to use the Auto Detect option, it searches both COM ports, then says, "Not connected. Unable to find a Garmin device."

Any clues on what's going wrong? Do I need to leapfrog my way up to 3.40 (by installing, say, 3.00 followed by 3.40)?

Any help would be appreciated, because I want to get up to date as soon as I can. icon_smile.gif

I am seriously unhappy right now! icon_frown.gif I've just opened the MetroGuide Europe CD that came with my Legend, and found that it is version 4.0. I was expecting version 5.0. This would explain the firmware version being so low, I suppose.

Well, I am certainly not happy with this at all. I bought the unit from gpsw.co.uk, and I shall be calling them (hopefully, they are in on Saturday mornings) to see if I can get the entire package replaced.

icon_frown.gif

Question: Does the part number 010-00256-03 refer to "eTrex Legend w/ MetroGuide Europe 5.0" specifically? I mean, would "eTrex Legend w/ MetroGuide Europe 4.0" have had a different product number? (I'm having trouble finding a specific reference to the "w/ 4.0" product on the web.)

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Simon & Elizabeth:

Just received my eTrex Legend in the post this morning! It arrived with firmware version 2.38 (which seems slightly odd, as people have been reporting 3.20 shipped on new devices icon_confused.gif).

However, my main problem is, when I run the 3.40 updater.exe, and try to use the Auto Detect option, it searches both COM ports, then says, "Not connected. Unable to find a Garmin device."

Any clues on what's going wrong? Do I need to leapfrog my way up to 3.40 (by installing, say, 3.00 followed by 3.40)?

Any help would be appreciated, because I want to get up to date as soon as I can. icon_smile.gif

1. Make sure that any autosync software (PDA etc) is not running on your PC and all your com ports are enabled.

2. Ensure the Legend's interface is set to GARMIN.

You should be able to upgrade the 'Mapsource' part of the CD to V5.0 using the download from Garmin here Mapsource Update. Of course that wont update your 'base' map package.

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

To reply to myself once again...

Looking at it a bit further, it seems as though the "eTrex Legend Deluxe" (Legend + MG Europe bundle) may be just a way for Garmin to get rid of its old software, and this should have been what to expect in the box. But, man, that is not obvious at all, if that is the case. Still really, really not happy with the whole situation.

GPSW are out of the office today (at least, I let the phone ring for a very long time). But, if what I said above it true (all bundles contain the old software), I'll be seeing if I can swap the bundle for a regular Legend and the software v5 by itself.

And I was all excited about getting to play this weekend, too...

Simon & Elizabeth,

Call Garmin. Normally, if you purchase a software product after the upgrade is available, they will send you the upgrade for free.

I purchased Bluechart V4.01 in May not knowing that V5.00 had been released in April. They sent me the upgrade for free.

As far as the com ports go. Make sure that another application does not have "control" of the port you're trying to use. You might even want to look for an additional serial port and try it. (There might be one on the back of your computer or on the front under some sort of cover.)

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

Dear S & E,

Please don't fret - I'm sure that we'll get you very happy with your Legend soon!!! icon_biggrin.gif

As for the Legend firmware update, I think Motley has it right by checking the communication protocol as being set to "Garmin" (check page 46 in manual). If you have a PDA hot-sync cradle attached to your PC, then that is probably the problem.

As for the MetroGuide version issue, do not confuse the "MetroGuide" version 5 with the "MAPSOURCE" version 5. The MapSource program kind of like an "operating system" that Garmin uses for many different products such as WorldMap, City Navigator, Roads & Recreation as well as MetroGuide. I know that the current version of MetroGuide USA 5 is shipping with MapSource version 4.12. Just because the MapSource program is version 4.12, does not mean that I got MetroGuide 4.12. I am very sure that your MetroGuide version is indeed version 5. Just upgrade the MAPSOURCE program to 5 and that should end your worries about the mapping version.

Thanks for the info and emotional support. icon_wink.gif I was so excited when the postman came this morning; when I opened the package, my bubble just burst. So, I will call Garmin and the GPSW on Monday morning.

I am sure that I have "European MetroGuide v4.00", but that v5.00 is the latest. The major advantage of v5 compared to v4, especially with the more limited memory of the Legend, is the finer granularity of the map tiles.

So, I will ask Garmin about getting an update (although customer service isn't always as hot in the UK as it is in the US). Otherwise, I will try to return the Legend/MG bundle and purchase the Legend and MGv5 separately.

Oh, yes, and it was probably my ActiveSync that was messing with the firmware update, then. (I have put that on hold until I've made contact on Monday.)

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Simon & Elizabeth:

Thanks for the info and emotional support. icon_wink.gif I was so excited when the postman came this morning; when I opened the package, my bubble just burst. So, I will call Garmin and the GPSW on Monday morning.

I am sure that I have "European MetroGuide v4.00", but that v5.00 is the latest. The major advantage of v5 compared to v4, especially with the more limited memory of the Legend, is the finer granularity of the map tiles.

So, I will ask Garmin about getting an update (although customer service isn't always as hot in the UK as it is in the US). Otherwise, I will try to return the Legend/MG bundle and purchase the Legend and MGv5 separately.

Oh, yes, and it was probably my ActiveSync that was messing with the firmware update, then. (I have put that on hold until I've made contact on Monday.)

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Unless you really want Metroguide you might like to consider Roads & Recreation Europe. With the Legends 8Mb memory you can load more map 'chunks' from R&R than you can with MG. MG map 'chunks' are much larger than R&R. e.g. I live on the South Coast and can only load 1 MG map section that encompasses my area. This extends roughly down to Portland to the west, Brighton the the east Cheltenham to the north and is 7.11Mb in size. Using R&R I can load the whole of the South Coast area as each map section is a few 100Kb. I tend to use R&R much more than MG. The decision is yours of course.

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

I know nothing about Legends or any software for outside the USA, but I had a similar problem with my Map76S.

Try un-checking the box that says "Allow high-speed interface - if errors are recieved" (or something like it) and see if you still get the error.

This 'flying saucer' situation is not at all imaginary or seeing too much in some natural phenomena. Something is really flying around. The phenomenon is something real and not visionary or fictitious. - Gen. Nathan Twining Chief of Staff, US Air Force, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff