Routes to Tracks???

ZachNLiam

Does anyone know of a program that will take routes (created in Garmin MapSource, or Nat'l Geo TOPO! or whatever) and convert them to TRACKS?

I want to follow a trail this weekend, and the TOPO! software will create a great route with 50 waypoints along the way, etc. The problem is I don't NEED 50 WAYPOINTS! I only care about the beginning and end of the trail, and a saved track can hold about 250 turns, not just 50.

Nat'l Geo will create the route with as many waypoints as I want (like the 250 of the tracks), but my gps will only do routes of 50. Again, I don't care about the interim waypoints anyway. To me a track would better represent a single trail than a route would anyway.

Does this make sense? Help if you've figured this out! Thanks!

I found references to a couple threads on converting tracks to routes (the other way around). Nat'l Geo TOPO does this easily. If I HIKED this trail, then I'd have the track I need! I want to create it from the map of the trail I have.

Both Tracks and Routes can be exported as text files and then imported, but they are somewhat different - too different to do a simple copy and paste into the other. But it shouldn't be hard to write a program to do this.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up more often. With the 'current track' being able to hold well over 1000 points, and saved tracks around 250, the measly 50 (at most) points of a route doesn't seem as useful at all, especially for trails with switchbacks and such.

I'm going to use this feature (as a route of course) on the 4 mile Yosemite/Glacier Point trail this weekend. Maybe it will work very well and I won't care anymore about converting it. We'll see! icon_smile.gif

I found references to a couple threads on converting tracks to routes (the other way around). Nat'l Geo TOPO does this easily. If I HIKED this trail, then I'd have the track I need! I want to create it from the map of the trail I have.

Both Tracks and Routes can be exported as text files and then imported, but they are somewhat different - too different to do a simple copy and paste into the other. But it shouldn't be hard to write a program to do this.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up more often. With the 'current track' being able to hold well over 1000 points, and saved tracks around 250, the measly 50 (at most) points of a route doesn't seem as useful at all, especially for trails with switchbacks and such.

I'm going to use this feature (as a route of course) on the 4 mile Yosemite/Glacier Point trail this weekend. Maybe it will work very well and I won't care anymore about converting it. We'll see! icon_smile.gif

Are you using a version of the Windows OS greater than 3.11, or something elselike Linux, FreeBSD, or Mac OS X?

In any case the answer is the same but it is easier to do in an alternate OS, GPSman is the answer! go to

GPSman Home Page

You will also need to install Tcl/Tk

Active State

and you might also need to get 'wish' and 'expect' I did not pay close attention to the requirements when I install GPSman.