Magellan 315/320 firmware update

Guest thepuck

Guest thepuck

Magellan has released a new update for the 315/320. You can get it here: http://www.magellangps.com/downloads/gps315v314.htm

The following issues have been fixed in version 3.13 (not released):

Clear all from the clear menu under setup will now cause all memory to be zeroed as well as being marked invalid

Waypoint memory is managed more conservatively to prevent any possible loss of waypoint data.

The following issue has been fixed in version 3.14 (released):

Problems with memory overflows associated with filling the track buffer have been corrected. This change also incorporates a change in track altitude resolution to 1 meter.

Distance and XTE values now change from miles/nm to feet and from km to meters when they become less than 0.1 of the larger scale.

------------------

LEP

[This message has been edited by thepuck (edited 08 May 2001).]

Guest JasonW

I wonder if they've fixed the display issue with the trip odometer when it reaches 1000km/1000mi/1000nm where it starts to cycle through other things like the AM, PM and degree symbols, the query mark etc. in the hundreds place of the trip odo - which Magellan failed to accept is a bug in 3.07 & 3.12 when reported to them.

It only occurs on the "normal" screen (can't remember the exact name of it) the one with the Lat/Long, Distance to waypoint, speed, Time of Day etc on.

[This message has been edited by JasonW (edited 09 May 2001).]

Guest Ron Streeter

there, but I can't help but ask if you or anyone else has had this problem.

Comments ?

P.S.

If the closing distance now reads in feet instead of .02, .01 miles, that will be great and should be a little more user friendly.

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 09 May 2001).]

Guest Ron Streeter

Well, it works...that is, it now reads in feet when you get close proximity to your destination.

I stood in my front yard and logged in the coords. Went two blocks away and turned on goto. When I was a block or so away from my front yard it said I had 270 feet to target. The target of course was quite visible and when I got to the middle of my yard it said I had 52 feet to go ! Oh well !

At work I logged the middle of the parking lot. Walked about a block away and came back. This time as I neared my parking space, it showed I had 23 feet to go.

So, it's still a "guessing game" when in the woods, but it IS nice to see those feet count down instead of .03,.02, .01 miles !

And I guess if you "sat" on the spot it would eventually settle in to 5 feet or so. I had access to 6 sats when logging the spots and when going back to them. Clear skylines in both cases.

Anxious to hear any other experiences with the new software.

Guest ericdb1

Thanks for the heads up on this. I have downloaded the software and will purchase a PC cable tomorrow. It will be nice to see those feet tick by instead of miles when you get close.

Guest Ron Streeter

Eric..

Be patient when working with the cable and software. I use it with 3 different mapping programs and each needed a bit of tweaking.

The best I've found is TOPO! (Wildflower/National Geographic). Their GPS menu selection even has a "test" button to check the com port settings.

Another aspect is setting the gps itself for baud rate, and maybe another factor. I forget the details. Anyway, when it's working fully, it's great. I now use my gps with a laptop in my car and can have it track my travels on a map !

Guest ericdb1

Thanks for the tips Ron. Got the PC cable for my 320 and applied the firmware update to v3.14. It went without a hitch. Nice addition to have the feet count down. Waht a great way to combine todays technology and the great outdoors! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest ericdb1

Thanks for the tips Ron. Got the PC cable for my 320 and applied the firmware update to v3.14. It went without a hitch. Nice addition to have the feet count down. Waht a great way to combine todays technology and the great outdoors! icon_biggrin.gif