newbie: PDA, GPS, Equipment

toybox

hi,

as I mentioned in another thread I'm new to the whole caching thing. So first is to get a proper GPS device. I think about using my Ipaq 3670, so can you recommend any compact-flash-GPS' for this PDA?

also, which other PDA-software do you recommend me to get (fe. utilities for calculating coordinates...)?

and finally, are there any websites like mapquest which work in the pocket explorer internet browser?

thx & bye!

You'll probably be better off getting a separate GPS receiver rather than an add-on for your PDA. The PDA batteries are pretty short-lived when you start including add-ons versus the average battery life of a GPS receiver by itself. Taking advantage of the PDA with the GPS then becomes a matter of a simple cable connection between the two.

Others more informed than I about the software add-ons will chime in soon.

Cheers!

TL

As others have mentioned, the PDA's are fragile things. Not necessarily the greatest for field use. For vehicle use to get to the cache area however, or just roadtrips in general, they're hard to beat. You get options like very accurate and up to date maps, plus voice commands, auto routing/re-routing etc. I got a Globalsat BC307 CF unit from semsons a couple weeks ago, and so far I love it, especially in conjunction with the latest version of mapopolis. The 307 comes with external antenna and pcmcia adapter for about $140. It's by far the most sensitive unit I have, and works far better in tree cover than my handhelds like the sportrak. Probably a 20 to 30 percent sensitivity improvement. Of course that sensitivity comes at a cost, and it appears to have even more quirks than my magellan, which is pretty bad to begin with.

GPSpassion.com has some great information type of setup.

The link to Joe and Jacks site mentioned by TotemLake is a fantastic place to start looking for stand alone units. The great thing about them is that they can also be used in conjunction with your PDA for use on the road. This can be especially beneficial if you get a Magellan unit, as their maps for the US are pretty bad in areas. With the combination, you can get the best of maps and routing functions.