Oops! Bye bye original waypoints (GPSmap 76)

Guest Cucumber Jones

Guest Cucumber Jones

Crikeys!

I updated my GPSmap 76 software to fix the date glitch, and being new to the unit I botched the back up process. I assumed the points that were in there from the factory were hardwired into the unit, which I now know (much to my chagrin) isn't the case.

Does anyone have an idea how to get them back? Or does anyone have the base waypoints they'd be willing to share?(I'd imagine it's considered public domain but could be wrong)

Thanks in advance,

Cuke.

Guest Cucumber Jones

quote:
Originally posted by Iron Chef:

You can get the Preloaded POI Database and the latest firmware all in the same spot. I hope this helps!

Yeah, I tried that, but it seems to have done nothing -- still stuck with only the waypoints I put in myself. I think that file may be only the marine symbols in inlets and such (which are still in the unit, but are not listed as waypoints)

Guest Iron Chef

Thats wierd because that should do it for you. I deleted everything on my Etrex Venture once and the similar POI database reloaded everything. Maybe contact Garmin and ask them?

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Cuke, sorry pal, I blew the 'original' waypoints away first thing. I didn't see much value in keeping them. Do you remember what they were for? I think one was Garmin's office, not sure of the rest. Maybe you can email Garmin for them. They will probably send you a mapsource .mps file. If you don't have mapsource, let me know and I'll convert them to EasyGPS format for you.

Guest Cucumber Jones

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll try the hard reset today (I haven nothing that can't be replaced in it), though I think that the original waypoints aren't part of the base information -- if that made any sense. icon_smile.gif

I also brought the unit to work to try re-installing the POI database via a windows machine. I've been using virtual PC, and the process seems kinda kludgey on it.

Guest Cucumber Jones

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll try the hard reset today (I haven nothing that can't be replaced in it), though I think that the original waypoints aren't part of the base information -- if that made any sense. icon_smile.gif

I also brought the unit to work to try re-installing the POI database via a windows machine. I've been using virtual PC, and the process seems kinda kludgey on it.

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Cucumber Jones:

I think that the original waypoints aren't part of the base information

They may not be any longer, but when I had to do a hard reset of my GPS III a few years back, the Garmin waypoints returned. I'd be interested to know if that is still the case.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/101F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest Cucumber Jones

Update:

- Installing both POI updates from the site (via PC) didn't return any original waypoints.

- Holding down mark while powering up only gave a system profile, and some graphical tests -- didn't reset. But like I said, resetting to factory settings is what deleted them in the first place. icon_frown.gif

I guess it's a call to Garmin... Rats.

Thanks for your help!

-Cuke

Guest Cucumber Jones

Update:

- Installing both POI updates from the site (via PC) didn't return any original waypoints.

- Holding down mark while powering up only gave a system profile, and some graphical tests -- didn't reset. But like I said, resetting to factory settings is what deleted them in the first place. icon_frown.gif

I guess it's a call to Garmin... Rats.

Thanks for your help!

-Cuke