GPS signal blocked by auto windshield?

zippes

I have a 99 Dodge 1500 P/U. I have a Garmin GPS Map76 and I use an external ant. but it sits so low in the window that the sats behind can't come in. It still displays pretty good. The only way I could get better reception would be put in a roof mount. I really don't like making holes in the roof. So I am happy.

ScurvyDog Lakewood,CA

Typically most of your high end cars are going to have this feature. Audi A8,A6 BMW 5,7...Ect

It is also a problem with ezpass and other drive thur toll units. You can go to ezpass.com and they list cars that need the sensor on the bumper...

My car is on the list and I have noticed that sometimes I can still get good signal and other times I lose it completely. What I have found is usally if I place the GPS near the edge of the windshield it is better, and also the angle of the windshield to the horizon seems to make a difference (like going up or down a hill compared to traveling on level ground)

Bottom line is the reception is spotty at best.