Cobra GPSrs

OuchieJumbug

I see Cobra GPS units for sale in many places, but I haven't been able to find a single review or description of one from a user. Does anyone know anyone who uses one of these for geocaching? I'm shopping for a gps, and while I'll probably get a Garmin, I''m curious about these. I like Cobras. They have those cool fangs.

Anyway, are they a hit or a miss?

Thanks for the link. The only problem is, there still isn't anyone who's actually used one. There are web pages that sell them, and the Cobra site has spec sheets, but I can't find any reviews or even comments from users. I'm beginnning to think nobody is using them at all.

I know they're new, but they aren't *that* new. Oh, well.

quote:
Originally posted by Ouchie_Jumbug:

Thanks for the link. The only problem is, there still isn't anyone who's actually used one. There are web pages that sell them, and the Cobra site has spec sheets, but I can't find any reviews or even comments from users. I'm beginnning to think nobody is using them at all.

I know they're new, but they aren't *that* new. Oh, well.

Just visited the site and they are out of stock on the high-end model. It looks nice, but who will be the brave soul to shell out over 200 bucks just for a test ride? Cobra is a well-known name, but has no track record with GPS.

For the same money, I'd get something that is a known quantity until the Cobra GPS quality evidence is presented.

don

I bought Cobra GPS 100 about a month ago when my Magellan 315 died. The unit looked pretty rugged (they claim IPX7 waterproofness), but the performance was awful - it took ages to get a lock and after a movement the lock was lost, the unit started initializing again, forgetting position and time. I sent it back and got Geko 201 instead. Now I see that the strange user interface I saw on Cobra was almost an exact copy of the Garmin one (including such details as the annoying popups with scrollbars when editing text / manually entering coordinates).

Probably I had just a bad luck for a bad unit.. could be an ok lowend unit if the reception worked well.

Czech caching in US.