Personal GPS in a Mobile Phone!

Gudlyf

Taken from Slashdot: "NTT DoCoMo announced today that it will introduce it's first Global Positioning Service (GPS)-compatible handset F661i, at the end of April. The GPS mobile phone enables users to determine their location at the touch of a button, and download location specific information via i-mode like graphical maps and other interesting information about the area. This is not like the GPS functionality that the US Phone companies introduced so far. In the US the GPS coordinates are only used for emergencies and not yet for actually providing value to the user in other situations. Users of the F661i can send their current location to other i-mode enabled phones. In addition, a memo function allows users to store location information, including map, telephone numbers and addresses. The phone supports three applications of the GPS functionality: 1)The GPS enabled Phone can be tracked by via a service, useful for instance for parents to track their kids. See also the Wherify GPS Person Locator. 2)Submission of current location in case of emergency to pre-defined organizations, like police, fire departments etc. Similar to the GPS functionality available in the US. 3)The F661i also can be used by businesses to track their delivery trucks and more. Similar to Car GPS devices."

Not sure I want a GPS in a phone. It's kind of like the camera in a phone. Cell phones seem to have a max life of 2 years. I know I expect more than 2 years out of my GPS, or I expect to sell it or trade it in. Having an extra $100 of electronics in something disposable doesnt exactly appeal to me.

I guess I just come from the old school of use the right tool for the right job. Sure I might have more tools, but my digital camera, GPS and phone are not all disposable at the same time. icon_smile.gif

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

Technology is changing too quickly to justify the expenditure on such a combo package. Too many functions in one package can result in any one of the components becoming obsolete, thereby obsoleting the entire package. All that said, look for a combo FRS radio, GPS, cell phone, PDA, gameboy clone, electric shaver, deodorant dispenser in the future!

Veni, Vidi, Cachi ...