Garmin adds "geocache icons" in their 25sept2001 Etrex firmware updates

Guest Iron Chef

Guest Iron Chef

We've already seen that Garmin has a nice little PDF file that talks about the sport that we all love so dearly, but this is a change in their past tendencies. It at least shows that they really do recognize that geocachers are out there and a viable commecercial target. Makes you wonder what nifty-keno features they have planned for future updates that would be well suited for geocaching (and possibly designed with geocaching in mind). Garmin Software Download Page.

Please note that I haven't seen the icons yet in my Venture as I currently can't find it to do the update. :~( Looks like it will have to wait until after work.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 26 September 2001).]

Guest bowfever

This all looks fine and dandy but unless I am missing something it is only for the etrex line..... What about my III+?? icon_frown.gif

Bowfever

[This message has been edited by bowfever (edited 26 September 2001).]

Guest bowfever

This all looks fine and dandy but unless I am missing something it is only for the etrex line..... What about my III+?? icon_frown.gif

Bowfever

[This message has been edited by bowfever (edited 26 September 2001).]

It's my fault. I suggested a treasure chest since it would be the easiest thing to see visually. At that time I didn't have any idea people had an issue to playfully calling this a treasure hunt.

Perhaps I should have suggested a shovel and pickaxe? rolleyes.gif

Jeremy

Any chance that the erudite coders at Thales will hop on with a treasure chest of their own? Of course, I've kinda gotten used to "ATM" ($) for geocache and "fixed nav aid" (no picture) for found caches. (I use the skull and crossbones icon for archived caches.)

Guest Mapmaster

Have anybody seen that "custom firware" projects out there, with custom made icons for hiking and for mountainbiking? Maybe somebody should build an unofficial geocache firmware release. Btw, there´s no geocache icon on my basic etrex with the new firmware. icon_frown.gif For further information on the firmware hack, go there:

http://etrex.webz.cz/hack.html

Mapmaster

[This message has been edited by Mapmaster (edited 26 September 2001).]

Guest Mapmaster

Have anybody seen that "custom firware" projects out there, with custom made icons for hiking and for mountainbiking? Maybe somebody should build an unofficial geocache firmware release. Btw, there´s no geocache icon on my basic etrex with the new firmware. icon_frown.gif For further information on the firmware hack, go there:

http://etrex.webz.cz/hack.html

Mapmaster

[This message has been edited by Mapmaster (edited 26 September 2001).]

Guest LuvGuppy

I, like Mapmaster, was disappointed to find that the new basic etrex update did not include the new Geocache icon. As I posted in "What icon for waypoints?" Garmin will probably not be adding this feature. Their official reply to my e-mail:

Thank you for contacting Garmin.

The eTrex and the eTrex Summit most likely will not have this waypoint in the future due to the limitation of memory.

Thank you and best Regards,

I hope someone has used the software from http://etrex.webz.cz/hack.html maybe he will be nice enough to add the new icon.

Guppy

Guest martinp13

Thanks for the pic, Jeremy.... I am now officially jealous. icon_wink.gif

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest martinp13

Thanks for the pic, Jeremy.... I am now officially jealous. icon_wink.gif

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest Ole Cache

I updated my basic eTrex to 2.11 yesterday and although I knew there would be no geocaching icons, I was suprised to see that they've included:

a) Auto zoom feature

:cool: Displaying course or bearing line

c) Turn off/on display of waypoints

Those are the ones I've found so far. The readme file doesn't mention them, but I'm quite sure those weren't there before.

quote:
Originally posted by Ole Cache:

I updated my basic eTrex to 2.11 yesterday and although I knew there would be no geocaching icons, I was suprised to see that they've included:

a) Auto zoom feature

:cool: Displaying course or bearing line

c) Turn off/on display of waypoints

Those are the ones I've found so far. The readme file doesn't mention them, but I'm quite sure those weren't there before.

I haven't updated yet, but I am pretty sure that my unit has these features already. Maybe you were using a version earlier than 2.10?

Guest Ole Cache

Doug & Linda:

I was using 2.10 before updating, and it *may* be that I hadn't noticed them before (I doubt it, though).

Please check it before updating so we can be sure, and tell us what you found. (I couldn't find any mention of the auto zoom feature in the manual that came with my unit (bought 07/16)).

Guest LuvGuppy

I am still using version 2.10 on the basic eTrex. I have all three of the features you mentioned:

1. Auto zoom feature

2. Displaying course or bearing line

3. Turn off/on display of waypoints

Is there any reason to update to version 2.11?

Guppy

quote:
Originally posted by bowfever:

I mailed garmin and they replied..

"I doubt any more changes will be made to the GPS 3+, unless they find a big bug in the software.

Tony Broad

Service/Support and MIS Manager

Garmin (Europe) Ltd

So, I guess we're not that lucky

quote:
Originally posted by bowfever:

I mailed garmin and they replied..

"I doubt any more changes will be made to the GPS 3+, unless they find a big bug in the software.

Tony Broad

Service/Support and MIS Manager

Garmin (Europe) Ltd

So, I guess we're not that lucky

Well, I also wish there could be some new icons for the GPS III+. But, I am content with the way I am doing it. I use the golf course symbol for caches I have found, and the hiker symbol for those I want to find.

Anybody else have recommendations?

Lou

Guest BigDoggie

reasure hunting" and said that treasure hunting was not something that would be allowed in the parks. They have images of hoards of people with shovels.

I saw in these forums that someone on federal land was ARRESTED and charged with the CRIME of "treasure hunting" on federal land. And they weren't even doing that... this was the cache hider!

I e-mailed geocaching.com on the issue a while back and got blown off. I also e-mailed Garmin on the issue, and they said as long as geocaching.com called it treasure hunting, so would they.

Sure, "treasure hunting" is more sexy and macho than "family-friendly orienteering game", but it sure does raise the hackles of the bureaucrats.

It IS a big deal. And people DO look to geocaching.com to set the tone.

So, yeah, thanks a pant-load, Garmin, for your sensitivity to the issue. I'd rather that they have NO geocaching icon on the Garmin that for a bureaucrat to see a treasure chest on a geocacher's screen.

And the hell of it is that it is not even accurate. "Trinket hunting", maybe, but certainly not "treasure hunting."

[This message has been edited by BigDoggie (edited 01 October 2001).]

Guest Choberiba

quote:
Originally posted by BigDoggie:

And the hell of it is that it is not even accurate. "Trinket hunting", maybe, but certainly not "treasure hunting."

You've obviously not found a koosh yet.

I've used lotto tickets as cache bait.

They're most likely worth less than the paper they're printed on but... They could be worth a great deal.

Uncle Sam gets his share one way or the other so I can't see why calling caches "treasure" would cause anyones BVDs to shift.

cbb.jpg

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by guerroloco:

There's a "Man Overboard" waypoint? Once you waypointed the poor schmuck and came back for him, it might be too late!

If you hit "Mark" on your GPS twice in rapid succession, it marks the position with the Man Overboard icon. It's a feature and icon designed for emergencies.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/101F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest topografix

I just downloaded EasyGPS.exe from the Groundspeak site, and got version 1.1.1, which has the new geocache icons.

Be sure to select "New eTrex models, GPS 76" in the GPS list to get the new icons. Choose File/Preferences in EasyGPS.

New versions of our PanTerra and ExpertGPS software with the new icons will be out later this month.

------------------

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

Guest guerroloco

Oh. That makes sense!

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

If you hit "Mark" on your GPS twice in rapid succession, it marks the position with the Man Overboard icon. It's a feature and icon designed for emergencies.