Does the GPS V suffer off road?

Hi all. I realize this has been discussed many-a-time here, but I want to ask a specific question: does the GPS V suffer in off road situations? I love the idea of the V getting me there (either via urban hike, bike or car) then "switching" to off road mode and getting me to the cache. I currently have a Magellan SporTrack Pro... will the V perform as well off road as the Magellan, or will I be compromising something for the on road capabilities?

Thanks!

CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!

quote:
Originally posted by CacheCreatures:

I love the idea of the V getting me there (either via urban hike, bike or car) then "switching" to off road mode and getting me to the cache. I currently have a Magellan SporTrack Pro...

Hold that thought. With the upcoming release of new MapSend software, your Sportrack will have routing capabilities, so claims Magellan. You might have the best of both worlds already in your hands.

Jamie

Interesting thought! However I have a couple of concerns:

1) the Magellan was $220 or so and the MapSend software is probably about $100 guessing. Thats a total of around $330. For $400 I can get something of a "for sure" that works today, with all the accessories.

2) will the features of the new software blow away what the V can already do? If so, maybe it is worth holding on to.

3) Will Garmin continue to support and offer upgrades to the V? Or are there plans to release the next generation V soon?

4) Can't say I love the Magellan. The software seems cumbersome and top heavy. Also, the idea of an external antenna just seems like a good one.

Ahhhhh too many decisions! Someone just TELL me what to do! icon_wink.gif

CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!

quote:

Interesting thought! However I have a couple of concerns:

_CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!_

If the V will get you there today, it also will tomorrow - regardless what new something comes onto the market.

Try GPSnow.com for complete warranted package for $339.

Bill

quote:

... will the V perform as well off road as the Magellan, or will I be compromising something for the on road capabilities?

The receivers on which the Garmin V is based go back at least 7 years, probably longer. They worked well off-road before maps and routing were added. I routinely use the V for on-road navigation and, at the parking spot (car or bike), remove it from the bracket and switch to off-road mode. I'd rate its overall performance 6 out of 10 on-road and 8 out of 10 off-road. It's probably the best all-around geocaching unit available, although some others do certain things better. Because the basic design has been around so long, I wonder when it will be updated.