WAAS for E-Trex Summit?

Guest OldFrenchy

Guest OldFrenchy

I have an E-Trex Summit. Can this model be enabled for WAAS? If so, is WAAS such a great improvement over the standard locating system? Thanks for enlightening me!

OldFrenchy

Guest Iron Chef

Unfortunantly the eTrex Summit can't do WAAS sats. A unit has to have the built in capacity to handle that kind of sat info since it is a bit different than the standard GPS signals. And the signal isn't necessarily a great improvement over the original signal, it is a supplement to the original signal in that it helps to correct for errors.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

quote:
Originally posted by OldFrenchy:

Thanks, I.C.!

I had seen an E-Trex Summit advertised on E-Bay as being optimised for WAAS.

Buyer beware! [ icon_wink.gif]

OldFrenchy

Looks like THIS is the Ebay seller Frenchy saw. The seller even included pictures showing how WAAS works and how its more accurate. His starting bid is $205 + $10 s/h!

quote:

Thanks, I.C.!

I had seen an E-Trex Summit advertised on E-Bay as being optimised for WAAS.

Buyer beware! [ icon_wink.gif]

OldFrenchy

Looks like THIS is the Ebay seller Frenchy saw. The seller even included pictures showing how WAAS works and how its more accurate. His starting bid is $205 + $10 s/h!

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Looks like THIS is the Ebay seller Frenchy saw.

Just checked to see if anyone had bid on this yet, and looks like the seller edited out the WAAS stuff.

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 23 October 2001).]

Guest TeamCNJC

quote:

If so, is WAAS such a great improvement over the standard locating system?

OldFrenchy

IMHO, I don't think that WAAS is all the great for geocaching, but it may depend on your geography. Here in the soon-to-be-frozen tundra of Minnesota, WAAS locks are hard to come by, and only increase accuracy by a few feet. In the eTrex series, you have to be in normal (battery-draining) mode. I can get 15-18 foot accuracy in the open, maybe 13 or 14 with WAAS, but I lose WAAS under tree cover (but still maintain a <24 foot accuracy in battery saver mode with my Venture). FWIW, Craig

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by TeamCNJC:

IMHO, I don't think that WAAS is all the great for geocaching, but it may depend on your geography. Here in the soon-to-be-frozen tundra of Minnesota, WAAS locks are hard to come by, and only increase accuracy by a few feet. In the eTrex series, you have to be in normal (battery-draining) mode. I can get 15-18 foot accuracy in the open, maybe 13 or 14 with WAAS, but I lose WAAS under tree cover (but still maintain a <24 foot accuracy in battery saver mode with my Venture). FWIW, Craig

WAAS is all about the topology of where you are at and what kind of cover is overhead. In some spots its great and in others its useless. You can tell that it is more for aviation in that the primary regions are over water where there arn't really any landmarks to check when flying. Of course there are other reasons too. Supposedly more WAAS birds are in the works and the system is supposed to be complete by 2015... but thats 13 years away (well 13 and a bit since its almost 2002).

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by TeamCNJC:

IMHO, I don't think that WAAS is all the great for geocaching, but it may depend on your geography. Here in the soon-to-be-frozen tundra of Minnesota, WAAS locks are hard to come by, and only increase accuracy by a few feet.

That's true for the moment, but that will change as more WAAS satellites are put in orbit.