Should I buy Map Software?

Essiar

Just ordered a Sport Trak Pro which will be delivered here in 2 days. It comes with 9mb internal map. Never cached before. I can get a larger rebate if I also buy Mapsend CD, but never having cached I'm not sure what I need. I'll be doing this in city and country. Do you recommend I buy the Topo CD, the Streets CD, both or neither?

Thanks!

The detail maps greatly enhance the value of these units, IMHO. I recommend the Topo...they all use the same basic map information (which varies in accuracy by geographical area). They even have the same street information. Topo can allow searching for addresses, for example.

The differences are the available points of information (POI). Streets has none, Streets & Destinations has highway/travel related stuff (restaurants, motels...but no gas stations for some odd reason) but tends to be dated, while Topo has topo related POI's: springs, mines, parks, sand bars, etc. Oh, plus it has the Topo lines! icon_smile.gif

I'd stay away from Streets unless you're on a tight budget. Go with S&D if you are driving the roads a lot, but otherwise I think you'll find Topo the most useful. Don't get both...it's unnecessary duplication.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I agree with embra. I've got both city streets and topo for my GPS V (different maps yes, but similar function).

Even though my GPS will do routing sith the city software I use topo far more.

RK...I'm currently using Topo with my Vista. Can you get BOTH a city map and a Topo onto the Garmin?

I know that each time you add maps to the Garmin it erases everything already there, (except the base map), and I'm wondering how one can combine a Mapsource Street AND topo? - JamesJM

quote:
Originally posted by JamesJM:

Can you get BOTH a city map and a Topo onto the Garmin?

I know that each time you add maps to the Garmin it erases everything already there, (except the base map), and I'm wondering how one can combine a Mapsource Street AND topo? - JamesJM

Yes, just be sure to download all desired maps in one operation. Select all your Topo maps, then switch mapsets in MapSource by selecting MetroGuide or R&R, etc. in the drop down menu on the toolbar. Now select all those maps you want and finally do the download.

I regularly use both MG and Topo. Only one map type will be displayed at a time so by default the MG maps show up in areas covered by both types. If I want to see the Topos, I go into the menu on my GPS for selecting maps and choose to show only the Topo ones.

quote:
Originally posted by JamesJM:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I agree with embra. I've got both city streets and topo for my GPS V (different maps yes, but similar function).

Even though my GPS will do routing sith the city software I use topo far more.

RK...I'm currently using Topo with my Vista. Can you get BOTH a city map and a Topo onto the Garmin?

I can only speak for the GPS V as that is where my experience is at. On the V I can load both topo and City Select. If an area has both Topo and City, City is what I see. I do not see a mesh of both maps. To see the topo I have to toggle the City map off. The toggle is fairly easy on the GPS V.

Someone else will have to confirm that it works this way on a Vista. Anyone?

Nevermind. Someone got it.