Jump to content

HomeMade Cable for Magellan 315, NOT working :(


DieselNut
Followers 0

Recommended Posts

Welp, did everything exactly as this shows

http://www.geocities.com/gormikk/conexione.htm

When connected to gps and I try the update, it just looks for connection port over/over and over and doesnt find it....is there anything I must do to the 315 for it to sync with pc?.....Data baud is set at 4800 same with pc......Im running xp on a new computer here....one other thing I have a Db9 serial which the wires are color coded Identical as the photo so Im going by that, do serial cables differ?.......can the pins/wire colors be different?........thanks folks.

Link to comment

The only wire that is probably the color shown on the drawing is the black wire. The wires going to the DB9 pins 2 and 3 could be any color. And it is important that 2 and 3 are the correct wires. One suggestion is to homemade cable to a computer repair shop and ask them to identify the wires that go to pins 2,3 and 5. Some of the smaller shops will do that for free. You might even be able to talk on of the sales guys at Radio Shack to identify them for you.

 

Good luck

 

Byron

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Markulous:

 

2. Make sure that cable is not too long (found probs with attaching to an extension cable - too long)


 

I doubt that the length of the cable created a problem. Most likly the extension cable was a "null modem" cable instead of an extension cable. A "null modem" cable reverses pins 2 and 3.

 

Byron

Link to comment

upon considering your problem again heres some advice:

1)ignore the wire colour codings as the individual who constructed that site appears to have used a db-9 plug not a mouse cable. and yes all serial/mouse cables are not the same, the only thing you can count on is that the bare wires inside the cable go the ground along with one of the insulated wires.

2)determine which wires go where using a continuity tester, if you dont have one or want to purchase one (about $3 and ct), use a battery and a light bulb.

3)using the template on the web site cut a piece of plastic (i used 3/16") and drill the holes as marked to accept a small bolt (i used 1/8", phillips work best) for the terminals on the gps. it takes some fiddling to get the connector to mate properly with the back of the gps, adjust by turning the bolts up and down.

4)the screw used to hold the connector to the gps is the same thread as the screws used to hold cables to the back of your pc.

5)when you as confident that the bolts are making sound electrical contact when connector is attached to gps solder the wires into the screwdriver recess on the top of the bolts. you have to take care not to over heat the plastic while soldering the wires to the bolts.

6)dont force the screw holding the connector to the gps to taut it should be snug, if the connection is loose either lenghten the bolts or place washers between the connector and the screww holding it to the gps.

 

if you need further help just ask.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by DieselNut:

Ok, continuity test done, I have color matched to pin.....Thing is how do I know which is data in / out and ground?....if we can assume black is ground then its pin 1 on this cable, thanks for your help.....standing by icon_smile.gif


 

forget the colours in the picture showing the cable, rather make a chart up of your cable's wire colours, using the continuity tester method, for pinouts 2,3,5 (mine, an old mouse cable, were white, pink and brown). *HINT* If your testers leads tips are to big to get into the connector holes, a paperclip works great.)

 

The baud rate on the Mag315 seems to be a sticking point, as you can't seem to just max it out or the computer won't recognize the unit as attached. From other/previous postings it seems that the 315 tops out at the 9600 setting rather than the optional 19200, but someone with more experience might challenge this view. I set my baud rate at 9600 and it took approx 15- 20 min. for the firmware upgrade

 

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

Link to comment

quote:
The baud rate on the Mag315 seems to be a sticking point, as you can't seem to just max it out or the computer won't recognize the unit as attached. From other/previous postings it seems that the 315 tops out at the 9600 setting rather than the optional 19200, but someone with more experience might challenge this view. I set my baud rate at 9600 and it took approx 15- 20 min. for the firmware upgrade


yeah, your right medic. while capable of higher speeds i generally use 4800. while data transfering the higher speeds may be usable but corrupt transfers are likely. although 15-20 mins seems like a long time to upgrade, ive found the upgrade takes about half that.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 0
×
×
  • Create New...