Where to get MapSend Topo for Meridian?

Guest Naum42

Where in the world can I get MapSend Topo for the Meridian? I have called all over locally, and called all to online stores and nobody has it, either for the Meridian or for the 330. I bought my Meridian because I was told they would have the software by this week...needed it for this weekend. Is there anyplace that sells a downloadable version? Does anybody know of an online shop that has it? Everybody I called (probably 50 places locally and online) said they have had orders in for awhile now, but all they can tell me is they hope they get it before Christmas although it doesn't look promising.

Can anybody help me find this software? Is there any other software that will let me upload topo maps of the Columbia River Gorge to my Meridian? Should I just take this back and get a Garmin?

Guest pdxcajun

I also just purchased a Meridian Gold and am awaiting the Mapsend Topo. I called about the backorder and was told that Magellan was not shipping any Mapsend Topo software until the bug is fixed. The bug was discussed earlier in this forum and has to do with the GPSR locking up when referencing maps larger than 16MB.

Is that little bug really worth the wait? It should be a simple software update they can put on the website. I would assume it is also going to involve a firmware update on the GPS so why hold up the application? I am very close to returning this GPS and buying a Garmin because of this issue. I've always liked Magellan, but they are changing my mind.

If I don't hear something or get a map of the gorge on here by Friday I will probably end up returning this and getting a GPS III+ since I get get the software for that at the same time.

Guest DesertEagle

Try www.thegpsstore.com Maybe they can sell

you the copy that failed for me icon_smile.gif

That is really wierd that they would stop selling the Map Send Topo just because of the bug with the Meridian. It is my understanding that the software is used on the 330 as well and other Magellan products. If this is true and the CEO of Thales is reading this posting ... you may want to take a real hard look at what is going on in yer company and do a little house cleaning. It dunt makey no sensy at all.

Anyways, getting the Topo Send software may or may not help you. There are a bunch of us that have reported problems trying to read the CD in our CD readers. My laptop CD reader would not read it. My Plextor CD writer would not read it. Only my Mitsumie 40x reader would read the thing and even then it had a very hard time. It had such a difficult time reading that the install program would fail when I tried to install it directly off the CD (ie. the normal way people install software). I did manage once out of three tries to copy the files on the CD to the hard drive and then I did the install off the hard drive with no problems.

But still ...Not selling the CD only encourages file sharing icon_wink.gif

-DesertEagle

------------------

P: "Well, while we're waiting, why don't we search for treasure?"

T: "Oh, good idea. Let's search for treasure."

S: "What are you idiots doing?"

T: "We're looking for treasure."

S: "Is that some kind of metaphor for a kind of search that can't be described?"

P: "No, we're searching for treasure."

Guest DesertEagle

Try www.thegpsstore.com Maybe they can sell

you the copy that failed for me icon_smile.gif

That is really wierd that they would stop selling the Map Send Topo just because of the bug with the Meridian. It is my understanding that the software is used on the 330 as well and other Magellan products. If this is true and the CEO of Thales is reading this posting ... you may want to take a real hard look at what is going on in yer company and do a little house cleaning. It dunt makey no sensy at all.

Anyways, getting the Topo Send software may or may not help you. There are a bunch of us that have reported problems trying to read the CD in our CD readers. My laptop CD reader would not read it. My Plextor CD writer would not read it. Only my Mitsumie 40x reader would read the thing and even then it had a very hard time. It had such a difficult time reading that the install program would fail when I tried to install it directly off the CD (ie. the normal way people install software). I did manage once out of three tries to copy the files on the CD to the hard drive and then I did the install off the hard drive with no problems.

But still ...Not selling the CD only encourages file sharing icon_wink.gif

-DesertEagle

------------------

P: "Well, while we're waiting, why don't we search for treasure?"

T: "Oh, good idea. Let's search for treasure."

S: "What are you idiots doing?"

T: "We're looking for treasure."

S: "Is that some kind of metaphor for a kind of search that can't be described?"

P: "No, we're searching for treasure."

Guest ClayJar

Okay, let's have a reality check here. There is a very valid and pressing reason for them to stop shipping the software. They cannot be sued or held liable for a bug in their software. Bugs happen. However, if they continue to sell a product that they know is flawed, that will almost certainly open the door for lawsuits. Whether they win the suits or not is irrelevant; the sheer cost of a lawsuit today is enough to make them overly cautious.

Can you really blame them for being wary of lawyers? I mean, come on, we have lawyers advertising nationally about their class-action lawsuits. I live in Louisiana, and almost every time someone blinks at Exxon, slime-eating lawyers come out of the woodwork. (I do know several very nice, honest, and respectable lawyers, but I'm not stupid enough to believe that there's no such thing as a bad one.)

Now, Naum42, if you're really getting desperate for some detail for your receiver, perhaps we can figure out a way to help each other out until the bug is fixed. I'm not saying we should set up a Napster clone for Meridian .img files, but if we can help each other hold over until the software arrives, more power to us. Let's just stop with yelling "the sky is falling" and do something useful. (I'm sure I can help you have the map you need by Friday if you get in touch with me ASAP.)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 20 November 2001).]

Guest DesertEagle

Ok reality check.

I know to most of us, mapping software in our GPSR is really important and sometimes we can confuse it with O rings on the space shuttle or defib machines in the ER but something doesn't seem quite right. I don't know what the problem would be with just posting the 16MB/32MB limit on the www.magellangps.com under the support section and just be done with it.

Let the world know, give an ETA on the fix and come straight with the customer. Ship the software even if it is busted. So what. My company ships software with class 1 and 2 bugs all the time. Sure class 1 bugs are not desired but if the customer can live with it they use the FCS at their risk until we get the patch out. As long the disclaimers are communicated there is no confusion.

Besides, the software is already out. People are already waiting 2 hours for a 64MB map to dl and they are already hanging. They are already getting confused and concerned. They are already thinking about sending the non-working unit back and getting a Garmin. Not everyone that buys the unit reads about the issue here.

Do the right thing and communicate the problem. At the very least put up a link on ...

http://www.magellangps.com/customer/troubleshooting.htm

that says....

"Meridan/Meridian Gold Large Map Hang Bug"

--- Top SECRET --- DON'T ASK --- WE CAN'T TELL YOU, PANIC MODE ... MUST GO BACK WORK NOW, BYE.

Then we can all just calm down, relax and let them do what they need to do to fix it.

In the meantime ... YEAH, we can help those that are gonna buy the fixed topo send cd.

Got a USB SD card burner?

. I have since re-ordered from them and will wait simply because of their honesty and customer service. Telling the truth and not hiding from it goes a long ways.

Sorry if this is a long rant, but I've just gotten fed up with companies doing this type of thing, and it seems to happen the most in the high tech field.

As for the maps I'm looking for..yes, I do have a USB reader, and I'm looking for the Portland, OR area. Basically I'm looking for Portland, east to the Cascade Locks in the Columbia River Gorge, and also the Estacada, OR area. Any help with that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Guest honeypie72

I just placed an order for the Meridian Gold and i ordered the topo cd with it. I asked if it was in stock and he said yes. I told him there were shortages and he said as of right now he's got plenty.

I think his name was Drew. www.thegpsstore.com

Renee

[This message has been edited by honeypie72 (edited 21 November 2001).]

Interesting. I called them yesterday and they told me they didn't have MapSend Topo USA and did not know when they would be getting it from Magellan. They said they had an order in, but Magellan could not give them an ETA.

I'll have to give them a call when I get home and see what they say.

[This message has been edited by Naum42 (edited 21 November 2001).]

Guest honeypie72

Hummmmmm...Please let us know what they say. I'll let ya know if/when mine arrives. He said my order would be sent today. I told him (?Drew) that I was going to post here that they had them and he said great?!?!!!!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Guest honeypie72

Hummmmmm...Please let us know what they say. I'll let ya know if/when mine arrives. He said my order would be sent today. I told him (?Drew) that I was going to post here that they had them and he said great?!?!!!!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

I called the GPS store and they do have MapSend Topo USA in stock, however it isn't the Meridian version. It's the 330 version and "works" with the Meridian. I asked him about the bug, and he said the only bug he knew of that they were working on was that the AK maps didn't show up on the computer. They could be downloaded, but they didn't show up on the computer. He didn't know anything about the large maps bug.

I forgot to get the guys name though.

Guest honeypie72

I'm new to all this. What is the difference between the two cd's? Should I call and make sure I have the mereidian one? What is the price difference between the two?

thanks

renee icon_smile.gif

Guest honeypie72

I'm new to all this. What is the difference between the two cd's? Should I call and make sure I have the mereidian one? What is the price difference between the two?

thanks

renee icon_smile.gif

Guest Firefighter75

I dont know what the difference is, but I have a Meridian along with the topo cd. I dont think that there is a version made specifically for the Meridian. But then again...what the hell do I know. I have owned a GPSr for about 3 days now so I am definately no expert. All I know is that it works. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Firefighter75

I dont know what the difference is, but I have a Meridian along with the topo cd. I dont think that there is a version made specifically for the Meridian. But then again...what the hell do I know. I have owned a GPSr for about 3 days now so I am definately no expert. All I know is that it works. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest honeypie72

Okay good! This is a gift for my BF and i just wanted to make sure it would work. I looked on magellan's website they did not differentiate between any version....as for as one for meridian one for 330? Atleast that I could see.....BUT

"what the hell do i know?"!!!!!! Ditto icon_smile.gif

I can't believe I have to wait a month to give him his gift!! UGHHHHHHH I found this geocaching site about two weeks ago and I think we'll both like it!!!

Bring on X mas!!!!

Guest honeypie72

Okay good! This is a gift for my BF and i just wanted to make sure it would work. I looked on magellan's website they did not differentiate between any version....as for as one for meridian one for 330? Atleast that I could see.....BUT

"what the hell do i know?"!!!!!! Ditto icon_smile.gif

I can't believe I have to wait a month to give him his gift!! UGHHHHHHH I found this geocaching site about two weeks ago and I think we'll both like it!!!

Bring on X mas!!!!

Guest DesertEagle

The mapsend topo that came with my Meridian was version 3.0. It works ok with the Meridian (if the region size is < 16MB and

the total map size is < 32MB). Is 3.0 suppose to be for the 330? Yeah, all through the software it thinks it is talking to a 330 but works anyways. If you can manage to actually read the CD in your CD drive and don't go hog wild on the map size, get the Mapsend top US if you can. Thanks for all the news about availability for the software. I am just glad I got it while I had the chance. icon_smile.gif

Guest DesertEagle

The mapsend topo that came with my Meridian was version 3.0. It works ok with the Meridian (if the region size is < 16MB and

the total map size is < 32MB). Is 3.0 suppose to be for the 330? Yeah, all through the software it thinks it is talking to a 330 but works anyways. If you can manage to actually read the CD in your CD drive and don't go hog wild on the map size, get the Mapsend top US if you can. Thanks for all the news about availability for the software. I am just glad I got it while I had the chance. icon_smile.gif

I've got maps to hold me over until I get the entire CD, thanks everyone.

Can anybody tell me if the MapSend program also has the ability to add roads and trails to the map? I've noticed that none of the trails in my area are on the map. Is it possible to add the trails by either "drawing" them on the maps, or using the track from the GPS?

Thanks again,

Josh

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by honeypie72:

Okay good! This is a gift for my BF

Your buying your BOYFRIEND a Meridian Gold???

Dang! If this guy doesn't propose to you he's an idiot.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest honeypie72

You're not the first person to say that! What do you all get?? Socks?Fruitcake?

We were in Staples and wandering around and they had a few gpsr's and he said " oh cool, i wouldn't mind having one of these.." and went on to tell me what all they could do and i just shook my head " oh cool .....sounds neat" as if I have no idea hehe

ohhhhhhh we can be sneaky!!!!!! hehehehhe icon_smile.gif

Guest honeypie72

We were in Staples and wandering around and they had a few gpsr's and he said " oh cool, i wouldn't mind having one of these.." and went on to tell me what all they could do and i just shook my head " oh cool .....sounds neat" as if I have no idea hehe

ohhhhhhh we can be sneaky!!!!!! hehehehhe icon_smile.gif

Guest RaceNet

quote:
Originally posted by Naum42:

I've got maps to hold me over until I get the entire CD, thanks everyone.

Can anybody tell me if the MapSend program also has the ability to add roads and trails to the map? I've noticed that none of the trails in my area are on the map. Is it possible to add the trails by either "drawing" them on the maps, or using the track from the GPS?

Thanks again,

Josh

Yep, sure can. Just ride the trails you want added and put them on the map. I have done this with 75% of the trails in our area so far and it works fantastic. Takes a lot of riding, but it is well worth it!

Bob

------------------

Guest RaceNet

quote:

Hey, there is nothing better then a good pair of socks! icon_smile.gif

Actually, my wife bought me a Sportsman 500HO quad for my birthday. I was quite happy (and so was she)!

Bob

------------------

Guest RaceNet

quote:

Hey, there is nothing better then a good pair of socks! icon_smile.gif

Actually, my wife bought me a Sportsman 500HO quad for my birthday. I was quite happy (and so was she)!

Bob

------------------

quote:

Last year I got NOTHING. Nada. Zip. Zero.

We had got in a fight a few days before Christmas, so she returned my gifts and used the money for other Christmas shopping.

She got an emerald and diamond ring (among other things). Never even crossed my mind to return it just because we argued.