Lowrance GlobalMap100 vs Garmin etrex - please respond soon

Guest H Bunzey

Guest H Bunzey

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two and whether the Lowrance is a good unit - not many people sell Lowrance where I live and I have an opportunity to get the Global Map 100 for $100. Is this a good buy. I am new to geocaching and want a unit that will be good for a family of 6 with no experience. I need one that will work with tree cover. But I have a low budget. Please respond soon cause the offer ends.

H, I use the Lowrance and have had excellant results. It gives me a good lock in tree cover. I haven't used any of the other units. The only thing I don't really like is the size and thats not that big of a deal.

I think you would be happy with it esp. at that price. Its not really that hard on batteries, I don't keep mine on constantly so that helps. Its a good unit and will serve you well. Let us know what you decide.

kymike

HERE is a thread I started about the features and performance of the GM100.

Sorry, I can't compare it to an etrex from personal experiance, all my experiance is is comparing the GM100 to the Maggy 315 and the Maggy 330.

However, the entire Etrex line uses patch antennas, so the GM100 will hands down outperform them in marginal/bad reception areas. But, the Etrexs are lightweight and cute!

------------------

Team CacheCows of Wisconsin

Magellan 315:no map, good antenna(have one and works under trees no problem)

etrex:no map, not as good antenna but will work still under trees (meant for hiking)

lowrance:has map (very basic, but there), good antenna

I was looking at these three for potential purchase. You will find that lowrance is a marine gps which will work for everything. ie: it has marine points of interest on basemap. highways and major roads too! Magellan and Garmin are much more widely used by people. But whenever I talk to someone about the lowrance they say it is "easy to use, and works great". I think they reatil about 200 USD.

Adam

Guest klgraves

If it's not too late - go with the etrex. I have a lowrance globalnav 12 and it chews through 4 AA batteries constantly, while the etrex uses only 2. I've wasted a lot of $ on duracells.

I'd advise getting the Lowrance unless you really don't like the larger size and weight.

It has far more features and the mapping capability makes it much more versatile than the basic eTrex.

Sure it'll go through batteries faster, but you really should get some NiMH rechargeable cells for either unit and that makes the cost per use very low.

Guest Vagabond

quote:
Originally posted by klgraves:

If it's not too late - go with the etrex. I have a lowrance globalnav 12 and it chews through 4 AA batteries constantly, while the etrex uses only 2. I've wasted a lot of $ on duracells.

Use Energizers, they seem to hold up better in my 212 Global nav then Duracels

Guest GrouseTales

P>The GM100 is a without a doubt a much better unit then the etrex.

The GM100 is somewhat larger and uses more batteries, but the graphics and reception makes it a hands down winner.

Get a set of rechargable NiMh batteries for the GM100 and the battery life won't ever be an issue.

If you want a small,cute, and basic unit, buy the etrex.

(owner of 2 GM 100's)

Guest CoyoteQuick

H, what did you get?

I bought the Lowrance 3000MT for another purpose, and the GM100+ was free! The GM100 has all the features you'd ever want. Plus the reception is fantastic...even when hand held in the cab of a pick up. External antenna available. Good uploadable maps. For $2.50, you can put a cigarette lighter adapter, and run it in the car w/o using batteries at all.

The 3000MT is beyond words.