Magella Meridian GPS units

I am curently using a borrowed GPS and need to purchase my own and have a couple of questions.

1. While looking at Magellan units, I noticed that the Meridian series allow the user to DL map data to the GPS. Better yet, Magellan puts out a CD with topo data for these units. I have seen other units that can DL street and POI data but topos woul dserve me beter. Are there other units with this capability?

2. The Magellan Tracker that I use sometimes has a very difficult time determining my direction of travel. Some of the newer units have built in electronic compasses. Is this a worthwile feature or should I stick with my Silva Ranger compass. Even if the new unit has a compass, I will still carry the Silva Ranger.

Thank you.

Todd Cottengim

[This message was edited by Team Cottengim on September 06, 2002 at 02:29 PM.]

I have Magellan Meridian GPS, and love the map feature, although I have not got the expansion ram card or topo software yet...

I love the compass feature, I input the coordinates of the cache in as a way point and I just follow the compass arrow to the co-ordinates!...

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

I've got the Platinum, and it works great. I followed a route all the way to a campground in Devil's Postpile this summer. 248 miles, without a map.

The topo downloading onto memory cards is what got me to buy this unit. However, you MUST have a card in the unit before it will download map data. Waypoints and routes can also be stored on the card, but by default they are stored in the unit itself. I went with Magellan instead of Garmin because I already had the topo software.

As far as the electronic compass goes, it's supposed to give you compass readings even when you are not moving, but it doesn't seem too reliable. It swings around too much for me, or it doesn't move at all. When I need compass bearings/readings I use a real compass.

Hi, I have had the least expensive Meridian since June and I love it. I also have the mapsend Topo software and it is very good although the maps are not up to the detail of the Maptech or National geographic maps. Very useful for planning caching or dashing trips. I have 128 meg SD card and I have tons of maps on it. As far as compas work is concerned, I use a simple $7 silva compas and use it to follow the bearing shown on the GPS screen when I and moving very slowly.

I've had the base Meridian model for several months now and am very happy with it.

Just a quick recap: The Meridian Gold adds a more detailed built-in database of roads and points of interest. The Meridian Platinum has the Gold's enhanced database and also a built-in electronic compass.

I use the Mapsend Topo software to download detailed maps of selected areas (just for reference, I can get most of South Texas in my 32MB memory card). I find that the Meridian's map display is about the only screen I use. Just set a "Goto Waypoint" and follow your progress on the map display. Generally, I don't care whether I'm going North or South - I care whether or not I'm getting closer to the cache. I've never missed the compass function, and in fact have pretty much stopped bringing my compass with me on cache hunts.

I think the Base Meridian plus the Mapsend Topo software is a better value than either the Gold or Platinum models - as long as you are willing to do the downloading of detailed map data.

FYI: I recently went on a 5 day canoe trip in northern Minnesota and was impressed with the detail of the maps in that area. All but the very smallest lakes were there. We hardly used a physical map - the Meridian's map was our primary navigational tool.

A couple other things:

I find the Meridian to track surprisingly well under light tree cover. It'll still lose accuracy under heavier tree cover, but does much better than my old Garmin unit.

I find the batteries last about 20 hours - somewhat longer than the advertised 10-15. I set the backlight to "always off" - that probably helps.

I bought my Meridian new on Ebay for US$186. All of the local retailers want US$220. The Mapsend Topo software costs around $95. A 32 MB SD memory card costs around $25. Note, there is also a version of the Mapsend software without the topo data which is a little cheaper, but has all the same street and POI data.

I'm pretty sure the topo data is the same for both Magellan and Garmin units. They get their data from the same sources I believe. Take a look at the Garmin units to better compare between brands as well as between models. You'll be glad you did.

-Kones

------

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too?