Yet another "what should I buy" thread

OK, I'm primarily looking for a GPS unit for car travel, though my wife wants to geocache as well.

For example, this August I'm going from Michigan to Maryland. I'd like the GPS to tell me where I am, etc., and even have rest areas/restaurants/etc. marked along the way. I don't want to spend a TON of money, so presumeably the unit would need to support SD cards.

For geocaching, it would need to be quite resiliant in wooded areas.

If anyone has any opinions I'd be VERY grateful! Additionally, if the GPS you're recommending doesn't include the necessary map software, please list that as well. Thanks a lot!

The only gps that uses sd cards for expandable memory is the Magellan Meridian series, and they don't come with maps. For car use though, I've heard the Garmin GPS III or GPS V are really good..they have auto routing and probably have a pretty good point of interest database. I know that the Meridian POIs are pretty dated...I dont usually use them.

Do a search and see what people say about the Garmis III/V. I think the V is about 500 bucks, or was anyway, but the III might be pretty reasonable.

-pizzachef

I'm in the same boat as Rich. I'd also like one that can easily hookup to a laptop, preferrably through USB. I'm looking at the Meridian Platinum because lots of you recommend it and it has an expansion slot for memory. It is a little expensive though. Anyone have cheaper recommendations?

quote:
Originally posted by eneste:

I'm in the same boat as Rich. I'd also like one that can easily hookup to a laptop, preferrably through USB. I'm looking at the Meridian Platinum because lots of you recommend it and it has an expansion slot for memory. It is a little expensive though. Anyone have cheaper recommendations?

If you are going to connect to a laptop then you do not need expansion cards for more maps, you can use almost any cheap GPS for this. I use a Garmin Emap because it has external antenna connector which brings in better signal and use the real time tracking on the laptop. I am using serial connector but I also has a USB to serial adapter if needed.

quote:
Originally posted by rayt333:

If you are going to connect to a laptop then you do not need expansion cards for more maps, you can use almost any cheap GPS for this. I use a Garmin Emap because it has external antenna connector which brings in better signal and use the real time tracking on the laptop. I am using serial connector but I also has a USB to serial adapter if needed.

I just want one that can connect to a laptop. I'll probably mainly use it standalone but I would like to connect it to my laptop later to track my path. Is that a common feature with all of them?

OK, after a night of research it looks like the Garmin V is the one for me. A bit more than I wanted to pay, but it looks like the only choice if I want both full car nav capability plus useful for caching.

The best price I've found is $375 shipped from Amazon.com, with $75 rebate = $300. I also seriously looked at the Legend and Meridian Platinum, but both were close enough in price to make the extra cheddar for the V worth it.

The only thing that concerns me is taking such a high priced item into some pretty nasty areas (in MI we're talking a LOT of water.. swamps, lakes, etc.). Is this particular unit pretty resiliant to the elements?

Thanks again for all your help!

Sounds to me like you're on the right track. In case you didn't notice the thread that I started, that's pretty much the one that came out on top. And it seems you found the place to buy it. Pretty good deal.

As for swamps/lakes and stuff, it's supposed to be rated IPX7. What's that mean? From Garmin's website "An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes." Not perfect, but pretty darn good. Whether that really works or not... Gonna have to find out I suppose. Most units seem to be rated IPX7.

Now just don't buy the last one off Amazon. I'm planning on getting mine real soon. icon_smile.gif

For your use the GPS V is the way to go. No regrets. Make sure you get the Deluxe. It comes with the new software (I don't know if you can even get the original GPS V).

The newer city select has better information in non metro areas and more points of interest.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by eneste:

ALL of the Meridians have an SD card slot. The platinum just has the compass and barometer. The base Meridian was going for 100 bucks at outpost.com.

-pizzachef

Garmin GPS V is the best multi-use GPS.

The Box that the GPS comes in, should say DELUXE on it, or else it's the old model.

The old one, does not have enough mapping data on it's CD-Rom, to be useful, outside of large Metro areas.

The Meridian Platinum is the best Geocaching GPS.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

Thanks all for the tips/advice - after a trip to Best Buy to verify that they were actually $100 more expensive, I went ahead and ordered the Garmin GPS V from Amazon. It is definately the Deluxe.. I wonder how they can afford to sell it for $100 cheaper than anywhere else? Best Buy was selling it for $475 (not including $75 rebate), and it was being advertised as a sale...?

What has me befuddled is that you can get the Garmin eTrex Legend for $140 (post rebate) at Amazon, and pony up $90 for the CD that comes with the V, and you're not much further away from the V which does a *lot* more. I'm assuming it is either a pricing mistake on Amazon's part, or Garmin is going to replace the V *very* soon.

The bad part is that unlike most places, Amazon's free shipping is REALLY slow. Ah well, the wait begins.

quote:
Originally posted by RichP:

I wonder how they can afford to sell it for $100 cheaper than anywhere else? Best Buy was selling it for $475 (not including $75 rebate), and it was being advertised as a sale...?

Profit, instead of selling 100 units and making a few dollars on each, Best Buy and others like them would rather sell a few and make $100 profit on each one. It is easier to stock only a few and and make large profit then it is to stock "many" and only make a few dollars on each sale.

Amazon has my business, I just bought a new Legend last week and I may order another one in a few weeks for a friend.

I bought a GPS V on"clearance" from a local WalMart for $300. It did not say deluxe on the box, but had all the accessories in the box, it qualifies for the $75.00 rebate....I had to pay tax, but I will have $250.00 (with Tax) in it....It don't seem like such a bad deaL