PPC software - what do you use?

Hi,

Just curious what PPC software other people are using for geocaching. Maybe someone will mention a nice app that I haven't tried or heard of.

Right now, I'm using Mapopolis 4.23 for entering waypoints and it's been working excellent. I've found my first 3 caches easily using this. One feature I find slightly lacking is getting the exact coordinates I'm at if I wanted to hide a cache. Unless I'm missing something, I have to tap my locator icon on the map screen to get the cords. This seems slightly less acurate than if Mapopolis showed me my current cords.

But, I've found that Xmap Handheld Street Atlas works very well for telling me my current cords. Displays them for me whenever I want my current position. Xmap will probably work better for hiding caches and getting a more accurate position. Not as user friendly as Mapopolis for locating caches though.

I've also tried GPS Tuner 1.3 for locating caches when I'm in their vicinity. It's probably me, but I've had no luck getting an accurate position for hiding or finding a cache.

I just began using CacheDragon 1.1 for my cache database and importing the geocaching.com .gpx files. I registered on Friday and thus far I've been very pleased with the results. However the jury is still out on the GPS features of CacheDragon. I just don't seem to get accurate positions when trying to locate a cache using it. But I'll keep with it and see.

CoPilot 4.5 Live still doesn't have a dedicated coordinate entry screen. It appears to only accept decimal coords and those have to be entered in the "City" field of the trip screen. Now that I've received help on the coordinate conversions, I'll test it out on my next cache. There is a "Walking" mode, so I'm looking forward to try it out. CoPilot is what I use most of the time when driving because the screen layouts are excellent and easy to read at a glance when driving.

I also have PowerLoc's Destinator 2.0, but I don't believe there is a way to enter coordinates. At least I haven't found a way yet. But maybe like CoPilot, there is an undocumented way to do this.

I just got Streets & Trips 2004, but haven't even installed it and really am not aware of the features. Anyone know if this is useful for geocaching?

So, what PPC apps do you use in the field? BTW, my wife and I both have Toshiba e755's and Globalsat BC-307 compact flash GPs units. Prior to buying the CF GPS units, we used CoPilot "mouse" receivers in the vehicles road GPSing. I was using a Casio e-125 and e-200 for the vehicles before upgrading to the Toshibas. It's been a blast being able to use the GPS's out of the vehicles and be able to partake in this cool sport.

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks, I've read that excellent page before, but that was prior to actually doing some geocaching. Reading it again now confirms my opinion that Mapopolis is a great geocaching program.

I just installed Streets & Trips 2004 and will messing around with it soon. I read on your page that you were going to test it soon. Shoot me an email if you're interested in trading some software.

Rick

quote:
Originally posted by mrkablooey:

You may want to check out our http://www.cachegear.com/modules.php?name=PocketCaching.

~robert

http://www.cachegear.com

http://www.mdgps.net

I just installed GPXSonar an hour ago. Going to play around with it and compare it to CacheDragon to see what works better for me.

What's your opinion of Streets & Trips? What version is it?

Rick

quote:
Originally posted by GeoFool:

Currently I’m using GPXView and testing GPXSonar for viewing cache pages from Pocket Queries. For my map program, I use MS Streets & Trips with exported cache locations as pushpins from GPXView.

http://home.covad.net/~dsteward/Animated%20Gifs/lookerline_e0.gif

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com/img/logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by pileofmonkeycrap:

Thanks, I've read that excellent page before, but that was prior to actually doing some geocaching. Reading it again now confirms my opinion that Mapopolis is a great geocaching program.

I just installed Streets & Trips 2004 and will messing around with it soon. I read on your page that you were going to test it soon. Shoot me an email if you're interested in trading some software.

Crashmore was going to look at doing that one, I know. I'm "The Palm Guy" so that's his realm. icon_wink.gif I know his PPC was out for repairs for a bit and he recently got it back, though doubt he's had much of a chance to check anything out yet. I'll be seeing him tomorrow to ask him if he's going to work on it soon.

One thing to point out is that Crashmore and I don't intend to do all of the reviews. The site is for everyone, so if you'd like to review the software, try to follow the guidelines as best as you can and go for it. Just remember to review it as it pertains to 'caching as opposed to going over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house. icon_wink.gif

~robert

www.CacheGear.com

mdgpsbanner.gif

as77...

A simplistic way of looking at GPXSonar is to classify it as -just- another GPX Viewer icon_wink.gif

It does not try to be all things to all people and only tries to do one thing well (not that others don't mind you). It's intended for people caching with a handheld GPSr using their PPC for cache management.

So far, because GPXSonar is still in the beta stage, I've not spent any time on documentation but that will be available once the changes to the existing feature set have settled.

82972_1100.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by pileofmonkeycrap:

I just installed GPXSonar an hour ago. Going to play around with it and compare it to CacheDragon to see what works better for me.

What's your opinion of Streets & Trips? What version is it?

Rick

I use the 2003 version of S&T. I paid $6.47 after a $20 rebate. Couldn't pass it up.

This version includes pocket streets and allows map segments to be uploaded to a PPC. Works good for me. I haven't tried any other map products so I don't have anything to compare it with. For the price, I couldn't go wrong.

This version also supports NMEA 2.0 and later, so it can be used to track your position real-time using a laptop PC.

lookerline_e0.gif

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

I use GPSsonar, GPSview, and have just installed Mapopolis (great program) I'm still familiarizing myself with Mapopolis. As far as connecting between the PPC ipaq 3955 and the GSPmap76 I went to www.bluehillsinnovations.com for the cord I needed. You can power both the GSPR and the PPC while communicating between the two with or without extermnal power.

I like things simple, neat...yet complete. Not a million cords runnning all over the place. The only thing I wish I had at this point was a way to link my topo maps to GPSsonar cache list.

Bob

I also use Mapopolis extensively, along with GPXView. I also have S&T, but Mapopolis is so much better, in fact, there is really no comparison. S&T 2004 finally fixes the GPS location issue (it used to only update your location every 15 seconds, which was very annoying), but Mapopolis is still significantly better. The biggest difference is that Pocket Streets is not a routing program. This may not be necessary when you looking for the cache, but it sure helps when you're trying to get there. Essentially, the map for Pocket Streets is a graphic with your location superimposed on it. The software has no understanding of a streets or routing (keep in mind, I'm talking about pocket streets (PDA), not S&T (PC)). But for the price (typically <$20 after rebates) it still provides some value.

The key advantage to S&T (and Pocket Streets) is the ability to export from GPXView to push pins, which is pretty handy.

Just in case you care, as far a PC routing software goes, I prefer DeLorme to S&T. The interface for DeLorme really stinks, but it has significantly better support for GPS and routing. For example, Delorme is aware of where you are within your route. S&T has no idea. This means Delorme knows where your next turn is... again, S&T doesn't know. The voice prompting is also very cool.

Sorry to ramble. Email me with questions.

dyslexics of the world, untie.