GPS/Hiking/Topo/Trails

BML

Hello everyone- I have been following discussions on this site with great interest. I will purchase a GPS primarily for hiking (fall/winter use...where is that trail anyway??? and in the summer to calculate how quickly I am travelling over varied terrain).

Having read mucho posts, I am strongly favoring the Magellan Sportrak Pro. I have never ever ever used a GPS before but your excitement is certainly contagious. I have one concern/question... If I understand correctly hiking trails do not appear on basemap or topo maps...So what is involved in making good use of the GPS on/off the trail. One suggestion I have read is going to Topozone site, looking up the trail on a map and slowwwwly inputting coordinates into the GPS. What will I get out of purchasing Mapsend Topo if trails are not included? Does anyone who hikes miss the elevation profiling that is available in certain Garmin units?

Thanks

Bernard

Hello! I think that an important thing to consider is how do you plan on using a GPS receiver while hiking? Do you want to have the ENTIRE trail location in the GPSr or just key waypoints? Do you also plan on carrying a map and compass? What type of trails do you hike and how well maintained are they? Any cross-country hikes? The answers to these questions have all effected me and my GPSr use from one time to another. (I am always learning new ways to use my GPSr - both from experience and forums like this one.)

I usually punch in the waypoints of important locations and make a route out of them. I use the GPSr with a map to figure out where I am when on (or off) a trail.

Keep in mind that even if trails are on a base map (software or printed) the data might be incorrect. You should do a little research for up-to-date info on trails that you aren't familiar with. Base your waypoints on that info.

icon_rolleyes.gif (Hmm, not sure if anything I've said will help. I learned a bit about hiking w/a GPSr from a little Falcon Guide book titled "USING GPS." It was written in the days of SA, but is still helpful.)

Hello! I think that an important thing to consider is how do you plan on using a GPS receiver while hiking? Do you want to have the ENTIRE trail location in the GPSr or just key waypoints? Do you also plan on carrying a map and compass? What type of trails do you hike and how well maintained are they? Any cross-country hikes? The answers to these questions have all effected me and my GPSr use from one time to another. (I am always learning new ways to use my GPSr - both from experience and forums like this one.)

I usually punch in the waypoints of important locations and make a route out of them. I use the GPSr with a map to figure out where I am when on (or off) a trail.

Keep in mind that even if trails are on a base map (software or printed) the data might be incorrect. You should do a little research for up-to-date info on trails that you aren't familiar with. Base your waypoints on that info.

icon_rolleyes.gif (Hmm, not sure if anything I've said will help. I learned a bit about hiking w/a GPSr from a little Falcon Guide book titled "USING GPS." It was written in the days of SA, but is still helpful.)

You asked: Do you want to have the ENTIRE trail location in the GPSr or just key waypoints? Do you also plan on carrying a map and compass? What type of trails do you hike and how well maintained are they? Any cross-country hikes?

**** I would like to see the entire trail but I could certainly live with key waypoints. I always carry a map and compass. Here are examples of instances when I thought a GPS would have been useful 1) Hiking a trail say 8 miles in dense wood in 'difficult circumstances (rain, heat, fatigue, difficult terrain, whatever)' and I am wondering if I have done good progress along the trail (could be 8-10 mils long) but I can't tell because they are no side trails branching off on the map and there are no visual aids (under canopy) to help me figure out where I am 2) fall or winter hiking - you know, that trail you were so familiar with a few months ago changes drastically once the leaves have fallen...am I on the trail or off. 3) Finnaly, bushwacking to trailless summits.

You said: I usually punch in the waypoints of important locations and make a route out of them. I use the GPSr with a map to figure out where I am when on (or off) a trail.

*** Doesn't that make a case for using a low-end GPS to generate coordinates and then plotting them on a map??? I know, I need a good GPS to have tracking under forest canopy but maybe the downloaded maps are not necessary for hiking in the woods. Man, I feel like a superdupernewbie

:-(

I'll add my 2 cents to the confusion here. Like Trailcat, I use my GPS with a paper map. I think you can't beat a paper map to help get the big picture, and I use waypoints I pick up off the map to make sure I'm on track while hiking (or driving). That way I don't have to have the map out all the time.

Picking a GPS unit can be tough, cuz it's like the old Ford - Chevy argument. Up until last week I had a four year old Magellan 2000 XL, which had none of the bells and whistles of today's models, but which worked just fine for me. Then it died... Forced to buy a new one, I was overwhelmed with all the new choices. I eventually settled for the Magnum NAV-40 because it has everything I was used to, plus all sorts of new stuff that I previously didn't know I 'needed', and even more important, I like how it looks - ha. It has a big screen and my 56 year old eyes really love that.

I haven't tried any software yet, and the only use I can see for that (for me here in the desert) is to hook it to my laptop and have the combo of the GPS and the screen show me where I am anywhere along the road. Being sort of old fashioned (at 56), I just can't give up my handy dandy paper maps, and my current favorite is the DeLorme Map Atlas and Gazzeteer which has GPS markings on all the pages. I've used this combo to both find out where I am, and to find someplace to go.

All this does nothing to help you decide what unit to buy of course. It would be so much easier if each brand had only one unit. Then you could just argue Ford, Chevy (or Dodge) and be done with it. But gadzooks, each make has a zillion models. Check out each manufacturer's website for unit info, and try doing a GOOGLE search for a particular model and see what comes up. Look for reviews from users. That's how I accidently ran into my unfamiliar brand name.

Good luck and welcome to the world of the electronic 'sextant'

"Nobody cares what you REALLY do,

as long as the paperwork looks good"

i almost posted the same question two days ago. i have an offer to give my mag 315 away (my brother actually). the only way i would do this is if i was to upgrade to a unit with mapping abilities and other such features. anyway my question is - my primary use is in areas that have no trails, roads and the like. does it make sense to upgrade to a more feature laden model if i use it in such areas. currently i use easygps to take points from maps and the like and upload them to my unit, and of course i carry maps when in the bush.

if some people with more feature laden models would give some input i would appreciate it.

As I mentioned in an above post, I don't have a mapping unit, and I've yet to try any software. I would like to see one in action before I toss more money into the mix. Being from Nevada, there are only so many paved roads anyway, and I'm not sure how detailed these mapping units are. Someplace with lots of freeways and state highways (paved) might be a great place for one of these. I guess you could say I'm chicken. I've GOT to see someone else's in action.

But, if you like bells, whistles, and geegaws, I'd say go for it. You can probably never have "too much", but you can definitely have too little. icon_razz.gif

As I mentioned in an above post, I don't have a mapping unit, and I've yet to try any software. I would like to see one in action before I toss more money into the mix. Being from Nevada, there are only so many paved roads anyway, and I'm not sure how detailed these mapping units are. Someplace with lots of freeways and state highways (paved) might be a great place for one of these. I guess you could say I'm chicken. I've GOT to see someone else's in action.

But, if you like bells, whistles, and geegaws, I'd say go for it. You can probably never have "too much", but you can definitely have too little. icon_razz.gif

I own a Garmin Venture that my wife bought me. It's map page has no features other than showing point-to-point relations. At the moment, I am content with it. (Well, I wish I could hook-up an external antenna.) I do think that an unit with more (any!) detailed map info would be cool. (I happen to be the kind of person that always wishes I had bought the next unit up of anything.) I don't want to discourage anyone from getting a mapping GPS. Three days after you buy a low-end model GPS you'll end up in a situation wishing you had mapping unit!

BML - The things you want to do with a GPS are exactly why I now use mine. I am also using mine to make tracks along trails and then using those for home-made maps. (I have this thing for maps.) I save the tracks on my unit and use the trackback feature to check my progress on later hikes. Also, I have mapping software that has some trails on it and is missing some. I can download existing trail data or data for the missing trails that I plotted on the PC. Shoot! A good trail map is a good thing whether on a display screen or on paper. I personally prefer to use a paper map. I know people that leave the map & compass at home due to their confidence in their GPS. I trust mine BUT things can go wrong. (Hey, that's why duct-tape is so important to have with you!)

Hmm...duct-tape and a GPS? Maybe to tape up your GPS in a ziplock bag just before rain or a creek-crossing?

... icon_smile.gif

I own a Garmin Venture that my wife bought me. It's map page has no features other than showing point-to-point relations. At the moment, I am content with it. (Well, I wish I could hook-up an external antenna.) I do think that an unit with more (any!) detailed map info would be cool. (I happen to be the kind of person that always wishes I had bought the next unit up of anything.) I don't want to discourage anyone from getting a mapping GPS. Three days after you buy a low-end model GPS you'll end up in a situation wishing you had mapping unit!

BML - The things you want to do with a GPS are exactly why I now use mine. I am also using mine to make tracks along trails and then using those for home-made maps. (I have this thing for maps.) I save the tracks on my unit and use the trackback feature to check my progress on later hikes. Also, I have mapping software that has some trails on it and is missing some. I can download existing trail data or data for the missing trails that I plotted on the PC. Shoot! A good trail map is a good thing whether on a display screen or on paper. I personally prefer to use a paper map. I know people that leave the map & compass at home due to their confidence in their GPS. I trust mine BUT things can go wrong. (Hey, that's why duct-tape is so important to have with you!)

Hmm...duct-tape and a GPS? Maybe to tape up your GPS in a ziplock bag just before rain or a creek-crossing?

... icon_smile.gif

Here's what I use when hiking (especially in new areas with dense cover):

Garmin GPSMAP 76s, w/Mapsource Topo, paper map & compass.

As others have said, once you have a GPS w/Mapping you'll never go back. Additionally, I like the extra memory & features of the 76S, V, Platinum, Sport Trak Pro, etc.

YMMV

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

I have a mapping unit (V) and it's wonderful. I am sure the regulars around here are just tired of hearing me say that. When you have the current maps loaded in, it's incredibly accurate. Where you lose a little accuracy is when you don't have the detail for an area loaded in, and are using the basemap loaded into the unit. I am sure it's an incredible amount of info loaded in the unit for the basemap, but it sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. Now, my comments only apply to the mapping portion. Even still, I have been in an area I hadn't loaded, navigation worked fairly well, and I just made some waypoints at key locations, and loaded them into the computer when I got home, and studied what I needed to know then. If you want specifics, ask away, I am sure someone can answer.

I have taken it hiking, and was pretty excited about it then. For some reason, I enjoy marking spots and then checking them out later on the map.

Speaking of maps, and a lot of people carrying paper maps with them, does anyone actually mark Latitude and Longitude on the maps so they have a general reference between the paper and electronic world? Or do the maps people carry to go hiking already have that on there. I am used to street maps, and don't recall seeing Lat & Long on them.

Fig

quote:
Originally posted by The Tommy:...I'm not sure how detailed these mapping units are. Someplace with lots of freeways and state highways (paved) might be a great place for one of these. I guess you could say I'm chicken. I've GOT to see someone else's in action....

garmin.com and look up their mapping section. You can try each of their road and dmarine maps and drill down to areas you want to get an idea of the detail. Ditto topo I believe. Then you can decide.

Alan

Maybe the reference is to a feature some of the Maggies have. Garmin units with alitmeter can plot an elevation profile of a track you've walked earlier.

But Magellan can plot the profile of a route you haven't navigated yet. Just make the route, and then the unit will get the elevation from the Topo map (which has to be loaded, of course), and make an elevation plot.

Anders

Now, I think that I kind of know what I might do if I can make up my mind about what I want. :-)

Forums are such a great place to learn from the 'collective experience' of other users...but...though every question answered helps clear up things it also usually brings new infomation that makes choices less clear simply because we are all enthousiastic about our own personal experiences.

I will go with the Sportrak Pro because 'You can probably never have "too much", but you can definitely have too little.' and vertical profiling looks like it might just work..so I guess I will get he topo maps also.

Thanks again.

One of the things that was not mentioned about the sportrak pro is that when you take a hike and have it on it will show how far you have traveled and the route so that you can backtrack if need be. This is kind of nice if you get turned around. I have the topo software installed on mine so it shows all the roads and streams in the area. It is very helpful when caching to know whether I am on the right sight of the creek.

Lost? Keep Going. You're making good time anyway!!

The vertical profile shows the elevation in a 'side view' as a graph, allowing you to see the difficulity of the terrain as a line plotted on a 'horizon'.

From the manual:

"Only track history is available for this function if Mapsend Topo ...map data is not uploaded."

Meaning that, unless you've got Mapsend Topo data loaded for the elevation data you want to view, you can only see where you've already been as a vertical profile.

You may be interested in the vertical profile 'Path Check Description' feature, which allows you to create a 'path' on the map screen graphically, then view the path's vertical profile (requires Mapsend Topo). You can also save your created path as a 'route'.