WAAS Observation....

For what it's worth....

This weekend while driving through the country side with my 76S wedged between the windshield and dash I noticed I had a strong lock on all 12 satelite slots with WAAS off. Accuracy 14ft.

So, I enabled WAAS to see how things might change.

To my surprise I again had a strong lock on all satelite banks with the little "D" locked onto all satelite banks. Accuracy 12 ft.

Again FWIW, I normally drive and cache w/o WAAS enabled.

Any observations or mis-statements on my part from our 'waas experts' ???

icon_cool.gif

I recently upgraded my Garmin GPS12 for the Legend and I've been getting the same thing.

Normally a full rack of sats with a "D". Range bounces between 12-14 ft.

A few cache finds over the weekend confirms the units accuracy.

I must say it, "I'm Impressed!" icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

today while out in my boat ,I had WAAS enanled on My MAP76S, trolling along playing with the new BlueCharts I recently purchased, for about 2 hours all's well,when all of a sudden I look at the map screen and see I'm way off from where I should be,look at accuracy ,145FT!! after being locked at 10-20 all day. wondering WTF, I turn WAAS off,BOOM back down to 10ft accuracy,map slides back in place to where I know I'm physically at. OK...go along for a while turn WAAS back on...after 30 minutes,it starts drifting again,I mean I'm watching the accuracy degrade at a good rate.

anyone else seen this happen before? icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Face:

today while out in my boat ,I had WAAS enanled on My MAP76S, trolling along playing with the new BlueCharts I recently purchased, for about 2 hours all's well,when all of a sudden I look at the map screen and see I'm way off from where I should be,look at accuracy ,145FT!! after being locked at 10-20 all day. wondering WTF, I turn WAAS off,BOOM back down to 10ft accuracy,map slides back in place to where I know I'm physically at. OK...go along for a while turn WAAS back on...after 30 minutes,it starts drifting again,I mean I'm watching the accuracy degrade at a good rate.

anyone else seen this happen before? icon_confused.gif

Hmm! Interesting. Here is a guess. With WAAS enabled, you are using a couple of satellites that you don't use otherwise, 35 and 47. These sats not only broadcast WAAS data but also assist in your position fix like other sats. I think what has happened is that when these sats are involved in your fix you are getting some kind of signal bounce ( mulitipath) from those sats being low on the horizon. They will correct for the ionoshere delay, but not the local multipath thus throwing you way off. This should not be normal. A hopefully one time occurance.

My other guess is that WAAS is still experimental and on rare occasions they have a glitch. Maybe that.

4497_300.jpg

With WAAS off I normally get 15-18 EPE.

When I turn WAAS on EPE jumps to something like 35 for a few minuets, then cycles down to 6'-8'.

I've cached and benchmarked with both and haven't seen a noticable difference with finds.

The only time I definately like the WAAS on is when placing caches. Makes me feel a little better with placement. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dawgies:

With WAAS off I normally get 15-18 EPE.

When I turn WAAS on EPE jumps to something like 35 for a few minuets, then cycles down to 6'-8'.

I've cached and benchmarked with both and haven't seen a noticable difference with finds.

The only time I definately like the WAAS on is when placing caches. Makes me feel a little better with placement. icon_smile.gif

Yes, this is exactly what I've experienced, only while standing on a known position. My distance to that known position also dropped from about 7' to about 3' and in one case to 0'.

Close enough either way. Waas eats batteries, so I also just use it for placing a cache.

4497_300.jpg