MAP76 or etrex Vista

Guest mullen

Looking at getting my first (and hopefully only for awhile) GPS unit and I think I've narrowed it down to between the Garmin Map76 or Etrex Vista. What I plan on using my unit for is basic getting around the woods with my scout troop - never too far from being able to get back without it (ie - familar grounds). I hope to also do some geocaching and use it on road trips, more as a novelty. Also, for no real reason I haven't looked at the Magellan units - should I? I like the fact that the Vista has a compass and alt. reading, but think that the 76 might be better at maps. Can anyone give me some direction(no pun intended) in which way to go. To summarize - looking to spend around $300, won't be doing anything too serious with it, general all purpouse unit.

Thanks,

Todd

Guest gstrong1

Hi mullen. If you've got it narrowed down between the MAP76 & the Vista, I'd suggest going with the MAP76. I've got both & that would be the way I'd go.In the woods, you'll get better satellite signal with the MAP.Many times, I've lost signal with the Vista. Antenna design is much better on the MAP. MAP76 doesn't have an altimeter page, but it will give you an elevation reading. And I always depend on a standard compass rather than the compass on the Vista. The scouts should for sure know the use of a standard compass that doesn't rely on batteries. Much more reliable. Screen size plays a big part too.Especially on the road, you'll have a difficult time easily looking at the small screen on the Vista. The 8 mb. of memory on the MAP76 will allow you to load plenty of map area. The 24 mb. of memory on the Vista is more than I ever use. MAP76 also allows for the addition of an external antenna, where the Vista doesn't. I actually prefer my III Plus over either of these. It's only shortcoming is it only has 1.4 mb of memory. But in the woods & on the road, the only unit that can beat it, in my opinion, is the new V, which is basically the same GPS as the III Plus, but with more memory & waas. And the III Plus can be had for less than $275.00. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Geoffrey

For Biking, Driving, boating, or anything that bounces around, get the GPS Map76.

For Jogging, Running, Hiking, Geocaching, get the Garmin Vista.

You may have to get out a sheet of paper, and draw a line down the middle. Left side would be The Pluses and minuses of the Vista, and the Right side of the paper, you list the Positives and Negitives of a GPS Map76.

This is simply a complicated issue.

If you want 2 GPS units, get the GPS Map76 and the Etrex Basic.

Best bet is to get the Garmin GPS V, I think that it is more versital that any other GPS out there. Bigger Display, fits in your hand well, Jog with it, go Boating, Gocaching, and Etc.

It has the best antenna, but it still needs a clear view of the sky.

[This message has been edited by Geoffrey (edited 29 September 2001).]

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Geoffrey:

It has the best antenna, but it still needs a clear view of the sky.

Even an Etrex with a somewhat clear view of the sky will sometimes see nothing. The better antenna makes a world of difference.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

I've had my eTrex Legend for a month now and my biggest complaint is the small screen size and signal loss with tree cover. I'm not sorry I bought the etrex, the small size has some advantages, but if I had to do it all over again I would get the Garmin III+ or the V.

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Fotogg:

I've had my eTrex Legend for a month now and my biggest complaint is the small screen size and signal loss with tree cover. I'm not sorry I bought the etrex, the small size has some advantages, but if I had to do it all over again I would get the Garmin III+ or the V.

Amen brother!

I have the same response, but with the Venture instead of the Legend.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest faithwalker

I bought a Vista and didn't like the small screen, sent it back to adventureGPS and traded for the Map76. What a great unit. I've had NO PROBLEMS with it. I suggest the Map76 unless you can afford the V.

------------------

...Cache Responsible and may all your birds be in view... ...Faithwalker & DaMama...

Guest Choberiba

My Vista came through this week in a way that a friends GPSMap76 couldn't compete. tongue.gif

I'm mentioning this only because it could be a factor in someone's decision and information was meant to be shared.

His GPSMap76 was off by about 288 feet where my Vista was within 20 feet of the cache.

How? eek.gif

Projecting waypoints to an accuracy of a hundredths. The GPSMap76 is limited to tenths just like me yeller eTrex is.

The Vista brought me close enough to hear it calling my name. Who could ask for anything more?

Granted, caches that require this feature are far-n-few between, but without this feature in the terrain it was in...

No way Jose.

Oh yeah, bump.

Guest gstrong1

I think the latest MAP76 firmware update to 2.05 took care of that problem. I've been waiting a long time for Garmin to give us 2 places to the right of decimal, & they finally came through. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest gstrong1

I think the latest MAP76 firmware update to 2.05 took care of that problem. I've been waiting a long time for Garmin to give us 2 places to the right of decimal, & they finally came through. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY