Easy way to personalize Meridian Splash screen

geospotter

I've just been reading about another method to personalize a Meridian's splash screen (I haven't done it yet, though).

First, you must have an SD card that you will be loading a map/region on to. And the instructions are ONLY for MapSend Topo (though if you want to play with the Streets version be my guest).

OK, the "Woodall's All rights reserved" screen gets that text from a file. You can change that text to read whatever you like with Notepad, with certain limits. You can have a total of 8 lines, each with 17 characters (including spaces) and you cannot have blank lines or lines filled with spaces. It is also mentioned that you do not want any trailing spaces in the text lines.

So with a text editor, open Program Files>

Magellan> MapSend Topo> Map> export.cfg

Scroll down to find the [COPYRIGHT] section.

You can comment out the "Woodalls" info by putting a semi-colon at the beginning of those lines. I will be leaving that info and just add additional lines since I don't need legal hassles.

Insert a new line reading "4=Property of", etc.

Each line will be displayed in numerical sequence. It will make more sense once you see the file.

Once you have modified this file (and I suggest making a backup copy first), start MapSend, then go ahead and make a new .img file to load on your card, by selecting a region. The text that you entered will be compiled into the .img file when created. This allows you to add different text for different regions if you like; the splash screen will then tell you which region is loaded. Be sure to give your new regions new/different names since if the region name already exists the program will use that one instead.

geospotter

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

Thing is, What do I write?

If you're using multiple map files, you could put a description of the current mapset. The information is imbedded in the map .img file, and you can create multiple .img files, and you can change the export.cfg file between creation of the files, you can actually personalize each mapset.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

quote:

Yes, the Sportraks AND the Map330 gets that screen.

I'll have to try modifying both of mine...icon_biggrin.gif

Thing is, What do I write? I already have my contact info on the Magellan lawyer screen....

Art

You already have your information on a screen ? How did you accomplish that?

Please share. Sharing is nice.

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

THe mthod Geospotter described is probably the easiest way to edit a startup screen, as you can just edit the text in the export.cfg file directly.

MyMeridian is a program that will allow you to modify the lawyer screens that come up after the Woodall screens. It does this by actually modifying the firmware, which it then uploads. It's slightly more more convoluted, but quite doable.

My Meridian can be downloaded at:

http://www.navicache.com/freeware/

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

The program you need to modify the firmware lawyer screen is MyMeridian. I posted the link, but it was on The Other Site so it had to be approved by a moderator before it will show here. I don't know what order this or that message will show up here on the boards.

One thing I forgot to mention in the other message but can add here is that you should pay close attention to the directions about using a firmware version other than the 3.12 that it is currently set for. The change is easy to make, but you have to do it for things to work right.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Read the previous replies....At least three of us said it WOULD work on Sportraks.

icon_smile.gif

I'm pretty sure it will also work on the Map330's.

Also Geospotter was a little incorrect in stating that you need a SD card for this mod. As stated, the hack is embedded in the .img file, so it goes into whatever memory your region goes into....Be it flash memory or SD card....

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

quote:

Also Geospotter was a little incorrect in stating that you need a SD card for this mod. As stated, the hack is embedded in the .img file, so it goes into whatever memory your region goes into....Be it flash memory or SD card....

Art

Thanks, Art, for pointing that out.

geospotter