REI is great!

I bought my eTrex Vista 2 years ago at REI. I almost immediately scratched the screen but was willing to live with it. When the display finnally started to become scambled, I tought it might be time to get the thing overhauled by Garmin. Understand that these problems were caused by my abuse of the unit, not a flaw in it. I use this thing for everything! I have mounts in my car, on my road and mtn bikes, as well as my wind-powered vehicle (kite buggy). I use it a lot in some harsh environments and it has survived some nasty falls (some of which landed me in the hospital). So I really didn't expect the kind of treatment I got at REI. I had to go to REI anyway, so I brought the GPS in with me and asked if there was anything that they could do for me. They looked up my purchase record (I'm a member so they have all that stuff on the computer) and said "I'm sorry, but the best I can do is merchandise credit..." Hell, they just saved me $125- that Garmin would have charged me! I said, "Just give me an other one just like it!" Then the sales guy told me to go to the Garmin web site for a $50- rebate! Wow, a new gps and $50 in my pocket! I know where my first stop is from now on.

Yes nobody said their prices were the lowest in town. If you are a member you get a percentage refund at the end of the year on all your REI purchases. And yes even with the refund their prices are still not the best but customer service is worth the price to me. To each their own.

Team Sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.