Basemap

Guest DigitalFudge

Guest DigitalFudge

Hey Everyone!

I want to order the Magellan Meridian GPS over the net, but I dont live in the US.

So...

I want to know if it's possible to change the Basemap to something/somewhere else, and if so where I might do it. confused.gif

I can buy the unit locally but it would be cheaper to buy it over the net, even with a $100 shipping eek.gif

Thanks a lot!

Abri

[This message has been edited by DigitalFudge (edited 30 November 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

Have you asked Magellan directly? I don't have any information about alternative basemaps, and I don't know who other than Thales Navigation (i.e. Magellan) would know. If you ask them at MagellanGPS.com and they give you info, be sure to let us know, okay? (You could try the news:sci.geo.satellite-nav USENET newsgroup, but I haven't seen anything there yet.)

Guest SergZak

quote:
Originally posted by DigitalFudge:

I want to know if it's possible to change the Basemap to something/somewhere else, and if so where I might do it. confused.gif

This is not a firm answer to your question but it *does* seem possible...go read the thread here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/m330/message/3009

Someone has extracted the basemap from the standard Meridian GPS which is approx ~2MB. Then this smaller Meridian basemap was uploaded to the MAP 330. The available user memory on the MAP 330 depends on how large the firmware code is along with the size of the basemap...the remainder is free memory for your detail maps. Uploading the ~2MB Meridian basemap to the MAP 330 takes ~6MB *less* memory so now this extra ~6MB is now available user memory. I would *think* it would therefore be possible to upload a MAP 330's non-US basemap (there is a MAP 330 European basemap available for download in the "files" section at the link I posted above) to the Meridian but I have *not* done this or plan on doing so. All I'm saying is that it *may* be possible...you may find a guinea pig somewhere to do the experimenting for you.

Guest Geoffrey

These Basemap capabilities do put Magellan over Garmin, in that you can update the basemp.

DigitalFudge

index_03.gif

[This message has been edited by Geoffrey (edited 01 December 2001).]