Macintosh

Guest brucebridges

Guest brucebridges

Can anybody give any suggestions for Mac users? I am using a Etrex but am thinking of getting something with street mapping capabilities and need to figure out what programs will even run on a mac much less which ones are any good. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by brucebridges:

Can anybody give any suggestions for Mac users?

I haven't used it myself, but I've heard good things about GPSy -- see http://www.gpsy.com/. This does not have street mapping capabilities per se, though. For that, I'd look at the popular DeLorme Street Atlas series, which I really like (although I am only familiar with the PC version) -- see http://www.delorme.com/streetatlasusa/mac/.

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 25 April 2001).]

Guest emrldjetta

I have GPSy and it is very good. It does a wonderful job with scanned maps, georeferenced maps. Go to the website and read its features and the FAQs.......Kyle

------------------

Guest kbraband

I have a Garmin eMap, which has map display. I upload maps into it from the MapSource Roads & Recreation CD. However, to do this you need to run Virtural PC 3.0 (or newer) on your Mac because the MapSource CDs are for Windows only. Also, if you are using a USB Macintosh such as an iMac, you need to get a USB-to-serial converter, such as the Keyspan USB PDA Adapater. This set-up also lets you download waypoints, tracks, and maps from your GPS device so you can store, view, and print them on your Mac.

[This message has been edited by kbraband (edited 04 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by kbraband (edited 04 May 2001).]

Guest Nemesis

I have an eTrex Summit and I use MacGPS Pro too. MacGPS Pro is getting better and better (updates are e-mailed regularly). It's cheap too.

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest bridaw

all Southern CA counties and NE Ohio where I grew up.

I guess more people may end up buying GPSy because they can "kick the tires" and take the demo version for a test drive. Glad I trusted my gut and purchased MacGPS Pro!

------------------

Brian & Terry

San Diego, CA