Update firmware?

Guest Hg

's website, I see that they have firmware updates for it. Is it necessary to update it? Like, are their major flaws that need updating. And if so, does it come with the cable to do so, or will I need to buy this sepperately? Thanks all.

The firmware updates are there to fix minor bugs in the OS of the GPS. They also sometimes add new functions or improve old ones. If you buy a Legend I believe that comes with a data cable and thus you should be able to update the firmware if you don't have the latest. Because of the bug fixes its a good idea to stay up with the current version.

mcb

Guest HomeChicken

Yes do this!

I have the Legend and was sketcy about doing it but then saw that someone from this forum did it with no problem so I did. don't worry about the base map that is on the legend it will be there after you upgrade the version. Takes a while through serial port cable that comes with it so be patient icon_smile.gif

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

I was part of or placed these Caches

Sun rising over Mt.Rubidoux

Urban Jungle

Rising sun over Chicken Coop

[This message has been edited by HomeChicken (edited 20 August 2001).]

Guest HomeChicken

Yes do this!

I have the Legend and was sketcy about doing it but then saw that someone from this forum did it with no problem so I did. don't worry about the base map that is on the legend it will be there after you upgrade the version. Takes a while through serial port cable that comes with it so be patient icon_smile.gif

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

I was part of or placed these Caches

Sun rising over Mt.Rubidoux

Urban Jungle

Rising sun over Chicken Coop

[This message has been edited by HomeChicken (edited 20 August 2001).]

Guest Modesty Blaise

So out of curiosity, are any of the Mac users who use an etrex having problems updating their firmware?

I have a usb only G4, although I have the stealth port which gives me a serial port if I really need it.

Guest dubblbubbl

I picked up an etrex Venture about a month ago and immediately upgraded the firmware. Since that time Garmin came out with another upgrade which I loaded also without incident. The unit came with the data cable so all I had to do was download the upgrade and run it. Not a problem. The only thing I wish was that had USB support, would be nice to plug into the front of my machine instead of crawling behind it to connect.

Guest CapnGadget

I have an etrex basic, the Little Yellow Wonder :-) I had no problem downloading the firmware upgrade whatsoever although the data cable is REDICULOUSLY expensive.

Note to eTrex basic owners: If you bought your eTrex in Canada or out of the US you probably have the European version which comes with several languages installed...its a different firmware upgrade than the american one but includes all the same features...see Garmin website. I believe the European version is now 2.05 and the US version is 2.10

Happy caching.

PS: have e-mailed garmin twice on different subjects and received a response (with a good answer) once, so they are 1 for 2 presently. ;-)

Guest WaylandersMA

quote:
Originally posted by Modesty Blaise:

So out of curiosity, are any of the Mac users who use an etrex having problems updating their firmware?

I have a usb only G4, although I have the stealth port which gives me a serial port if I really need it.

You cannot upgrade your Etrex with a Mac. Garmin will only supply a .exe file.

Use Mac Gypsy or MacGPS Pro for all your waypint, map needs. You can use a Keyspan adapter to use the USB port on your G4.

When you need to upgrade, take your Etrex and the cable to a friends house or to work and find a PC. It will take 5 minutes to download it from the web site and upload into the GPS. The upgrade is smart enough to find the Etrex no matter where ou hook it up.

One word of warning: make sure you have fresh batteries. Bad things can happen if your Etrex shuts off during upload.

Guest Modesty Blaise

quote:
One word of warning: make sure you have fresh batteries. Bad things can happen if your Etrex shuts off during upload.

Many thanks for this tip. I won't forget.

As for using an IBM, only Macs at work, but luckily like every other Macuser in the world, I know about a gabillion people who have an IBM. I'm sure I can talk my neighbor into playing.