GPS Features Wish List

Guest rplumley

Guest rplumley

I've had my eTrex Vista now for almost 2 months and I'm starting to accumulate a wishlist of features I would like to see. The first and foremost would be a port for an external antenna for my Vista, but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

Another idea I think would be neat would be to have an IR port on the receiver so that, if I meet another Geocacher out in the woods, we can beam each other our interesting waypoints and possibly any other data. What do you guys think? Any other neat items for a wishlist?

quote:
Originally posted by rplumley:

I think would be neat would be to have an IR port on the receiver so that, if I meet another Geocacher out in the woods, we can beam each other our interesting waypoints and possibly any other data. What do you guys think? Any other neat items for a wishlist?

If you had a Handspring or Palm unit this would be possable. icon_smile.gif

One of this day I might get a GPRS for my Prism unit.

quote:
Originally posted by rplumley:

I think would be neat would be to have an IR port on the receiver so that, if I meet another Geocacher out in the woods, we can beam each other our interesting waypoints and possibly any other data. What do you guys think? Any other neat items for a wishlist?

Guest Choberiba

Well, you did say "Wish List"...

I'd like my GPSr to have all the standard features and mapping ability of say the Vista, with some added things...

Like an FSR, dual-band cell phone, digicam, MP3, PDA, remote control, using CF-cards and a wireless modem to transmit or download and store whatever information is needed at the moment.

Oh, and it should be under a hundred US bucks within a year or release.

Excuse me while i go rub a lamp.

Guest rplumley

quote:
Originally posted by vinced:

True enough.. I *do* have a Handspring Prism, but I'm really nervous about taking it out in the wilds. It's a little expensive to drop in a river.. plus, my experience is that the Prism's screen absolutely stinks in bright daylight.

R

Guest rplumley

quote:
Originally posted by vinced:

True enough.. I *do* have a Handspring Prism, but I'm really nervous about taking it out in the wilds. It's a little expensive to drop in a river.. plus, my experience is that the Prism's screen absolutely stinks in bright daylight.

R

Guest Iron Chef

I think I would be happy if there was a high-speed data port on my GPS unit and more internal memory. The serial cable connection is slow. An IrDA port would be ideal. I realize that this capability exists with the Handspring and Palm units, but I enjoy the toughness of a solid GPSR (especially since I've broken 2 Palms during my time).

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest Moun10Bike

I'd like to see the size and functions of the Vista (especially altimeter and electronic compass) with the routing and good antenna of the GPS V (I've been very disappointed with the reception of the Vista compared to my GPSMap 76 and GPS III+). I also would like averaging, 3000+-point tracks and 50+-point routes. Memory is of course always needed in quantity -- I'd like to see 32 MB in the next generation minimum, with USB capability so that map uploading is quick. Lastly, I'd like to see a color screen so that it is easier to distinguish topo lines, roads, creeks, etc. when bouncing down a trail at speed, but with the same or greater battery life.

Coberiba, can I borrow that lamp when you're finished? icon_smile.gif

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

30H/98F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest Moun10Bike

I'd like to see the size and functions of the Vista (especially altimeter and electronic compass) with the routing and good antenna of the GPS V (I've been very disappointed with the reception of the Vista compared to my GPSMap 76 and GPS III+). I also would like averaging, 3000+-point tracks and 50+-point routes. Memory is of course always needed in quantity -- I'd like to see 32 MB in the next generation minimum, with USB capability so that map uploading is quick. Lastly, I'd like to see a color screen so that it is easier to distinguish topo lines, roads, creeks, etc. when bouncing down a trail at speed, but with the same or greater battery life.

Coberiba, can I borrow that lamp when you're finished? icon_smile.gif

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

30H/98F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest echo2000

I'd like my Vista to pop out cold ones when the cache hunt gets hot. I'd like it to broadcast the hockey game when I sit to take a break from caching. ;)

Just kidding and sorry for being so facescious. I'm thinking more goofy things along an entrtainment frame.

Like a beeping noise that increases in frequency as you near the cache coordinates or the ability to customize this with WAV files.

The one thing I would really like is if they came with a tracking device you could activate if you really messed yourself up. I realize some other things have this capability but I'd like something that would be a standard feature on most GPS units.

Ah well. We can all dream, eh?

E2

While we're whining...

How about Garmin making their MapSource info available on the internet for download. I know they want to make a few extra bucks on the CD-ROM's, but $100/copy is extreme! If they allowed map data to be downloaded on the 'net, we could get only the data we were interested in and hopefully at a substantially reduced price! Say $1 per d/l? They could still sell the CD's to those who are willing to pay that crazy price, but they'd get more business from those of us that only have occasional need for the increased detail.

------------------

Dabo

quote:
Originally posted by Dabo:

I know they want to make a few extra bucks on the CD-ROM's, but $100/copy is extreme!

Yeah, there's no way I will buying a copy. I could almost buy another basic eTrex for that price.

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Reservoir Dog

I like the IR and external antenna ideas, but especially the "cold one" notion. I would probably have to buy at least six, though.

I'm kinda' disappointed with the MapSource CD's that Garmin puts out. Too little detail on the topo's.

I have been using All Topo Maps with my Vista and laptop. You can upload and download waypoints, tracks, etc., both ways but you can't load the maps on the GPSR, which is a bummer. But it will work "realtime" with your laptop and Garmin, which I like, and it supports the majority of Garmins.

Another downside, you can only buy them for particular states...it has 250+ 7.5 quad enhanced topo's in the Wyoming set. I use it to do detailed coordinate work, and upload to the Vista, which has the MapSource maps loaded. Works quite well, although I wish I could download the All Topo maps instead.

My point is...dadgum, I forgot what it was! Guess I bought far too many Vista's with the new "cold one" features. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Terry (Reservoir Dog)

Guest Reservoir Dog

I like the IR and external antenna ideas, but especially the "cold one" notion. I would probably have to buy at least six, though.

I'm kinda' disappointed with the MapSource CD's that Garmin puts out. Too little detail on the topo's.

I have been using All Topo Maps with my Vista and laptop. You can upload and download waypoints, tracks, etc., both ways but you can't load the maps on the GPSR, which is a bummer. But it will work "realtime" with your laptop and Garmin, which I like, and it supports the majority of Garmins.

Another downside, you can only buy them for particular states...it has 250+ 7.5 quad enhanced topo's in the Wyoming set. I use it to do detailed coordinate work, and upload to the Vista, which has the MapSource maps loaded. Works quite well, although I wish I could download the All Topo maps instead.

My point is...dadgum, I forgot what it was! Guess I bought far too many Vista's with the new "cold one" features. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Terry (Reservoir Dog)