GPS Speedometer Accuracy

My friend bought a "new" car and a Vista at the same time. I was playing with his Vista in the care and noticed a 5 mph difference. He asked if it was exactly 5 mph and it was. Had been told that the speedometer was off by 5 mph and his Vista confirmed it.

So I would trust your GPS, but your milage may vary... icon_wink.gif

AtP

My friend bought a "new" car and a Vista at the same time. I was playing with his Vista in the care and noticed a 5 mph difference. He asked if it was exactly 5 mph and it was. Had been told that the speedometer was off by 5 mph and his Vista confirmed it.

So I would trust your GPS, but your milage may vary... icon_wink.gif

AtP

<>

I had the same experience with my Civic ... three mph faster on the GPS unit. Maybe that explains why the Trooper said I was going 83 and the spedometer said 86/87? Haha ... not that I argued. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the question and responses - this was a discussion amongst family members.

-Junebuggy.

<>

I had the same experience with my Civic ... three mph faster on the GPS unit. Maybe that explains why the Trooper said I was going 83 and the spedometer said 86/87? Haha ... not that I argued. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the question and responses - this was a discussion amongst family members.

-Junebuggy.

You may have seen the radar speed readout trailers parked on the roadside. I passed one about a month ago not far from my home. I took the opportunity to test both cars' speedometers and my StreetPilot ColorMap and Etrex Vista.

Both cars read 3 mph faster that the radar speed as I would expect from this (German) manufacturer. Both cars had the ColorMap and Vista side-by-side reading the same 35 mph as the radar trailer indicated. I should note that I made 4 passes in each vehicle while the road was deserted.

Not scientific, but good enough neurosurgical work!

BP

quote:
Originally posted by BletchleyPark:

Both cars read 3 mph faster that the radar speed as I would expect from this (German) manufacturer. Both cars had the ColorMap and Vista side-by-side reading the same 35 mph as the radar trailer indicated. I should note that I made 4 passes in each vehicle while the road was deserted.

Not scientific, but good enough neurosurgical work!

BP

Radar guns always read less than actual, unless they're in the middle of the road.

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

1compass.gif