Electronic complass problems with Magellan/Garmin

Zgang

I have an old magellan 4000XL that I am replacing. My friend has the Magellan platinum meridian and says that the compass feature doesn't function ( it stops displaying direction) whenever the battery level gets between 1/2 and 1/3 life. Is this normal or a problem? Also I am looking at Etrex Vista and was wondering if it does same thing or has any issues with its electronic compass? I know comparisons have been made before between these two but any other comments on these units are welcome.

Thanks

I have the Vista and love the compass. I am not sure about the process for the Mag, but if you don't calibrate the compass(after you make sure it is activated), bad things happen fast. You need to re calibrate anytime the batteries are removed. Good thing it is very simple to do, or could be a big pain! Hope this helps!

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

I have the vista, and the compass feature is very handy to have when closing in on a cache. I have not had any problems with the compass as long as I calibrate it when I change the batteries. The only problem is that you need to hold the gps level for the gps to function. I read somewhere that a company other than Garmin (Magellan maybe?) has a gps that you can hold vertically, or at any angle. Other than that, I think the vista's compass is very nice, and have never had a problem with it.

Proud new owner of a Vista

[This message was edited by MacBWizard201 on November 26, 2002 at 02:02 PM.]

I also find the compass feature very useful, but I was just wondering if you folk are using the default setting or something shorter for the unit to switch from gps to compass heading ... the default, I believe, is to switch to compass heading after 90 seconds moving slower than 10 mph.

I have mine set at 30 seconds, but I don't know if it really makes any difference. I wonder if a shorter setting will make the compass more stable/less bouncy? Has anyone experimented with this?

If you set a shorter time, the time before the compass goes on will be shorter, nothing else.

I use 4 km/h and 45 seconds. That means that it will keep off as long as I'm walking, but comes in rather quickly as soon as I stop.

Recalibrating could be necessary when replacing the batteries, if you put in another type of batteries. They may have another magnetic characteristic.

Anders

I have a MeriPlat and I had my compass "freez" on me after uploading the new 3.12 firmware. I reloaded the firmware and the compass has worked fine ever since. BTW, I have not calibrated the compass after changing the batteries. I compared readings with my trusty analog needle compass and the the MeriPlat's compass is dead on! In my experience, low battery power and or changing the batteries does not affect the compass operations. Others may have different experiences. I love my MeriPlat and its digital compass.

The compass on my Meridian Platinum simply refused to work, no idea why. I called Magellan and they said it was defective, so I returned it to the store where I bought it. Those guys handled it perfectly, they sent me a replacement at their expense the same day, had my new one the same day I sent the bad one back, and it worked perfectly!! Couldn't ask for better service. Check em out, tigergps.com, I highly recommend.

Yes. I've noticed that the electronic compass on my Meridian Platinum goes beserk when the batteries start running down.

The needle jumps all over the place. As soon as I put in fresh batteries it works perfectly again with no need to re-calibrate at all.

When I mentioned it to the guy in the shop I bought it from he said I shouldn't use rechargables as they are only 1.2V and the GPS is designed for 1.5V batteries! It wasn't worth arguing but there's no way I'm going to spend a fortune on Duracells.

What do others think?

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

Any metalic object near the unit will cause it to read false. (watch,ring,soda can)

Always calibrate on non-magnetic surface, and use a real compass to verify accuracy.

I have only calibrated my unit once just for S's and Giggles. I have noticed that the base unit will cause slight deviation on readings when the unit is mounted.

Now if I can only find that rock I dropped into the shag carpet.

quote:
Originally posted by JaegerWolf:

Carry a real, old fashioned compass. Works great! icon_razz.gif

...but will it automatically orientate the map on your GPSr while standing still like the one on my Vista does?

You're right though, if I were hiking in the boonies and my well-being depended on being able to navigate with a compass, I'd be sure to pack an 'analogue' version as a back-up.

ontario1.gif

It will (on the Platinum) as long as you set it up to do so in the "map setup" section.

With map displayed, "menue, Map setup, Orientation, select "Magnetic HDG up".

This works well if the unit is mounted but when held in the hand while moving it makes the map display rotate more and gives me the heebee jeebee's

Now if I can only find that rock I dropped into the shag carpet.