Using a Garmin V in a borrowed car

Eswau

I will soon be taking a trip that involves me driving three different automobiles (none are mine). I would like to take my Garmin V with me. What's the best way/device to mount/use the GPS in each car, but also to be able to remove the GPS from one car to another without and kind of adhesive residue or similar effects.

I've thought about the Garmin beanbag, but it looks like it requires Velcro to stay in place. Right now when I use a car I wedge a towel between the dash and the window.

Is there a better way?

Thanks-

Eswau

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

The Garmin Portable Mount P/N 010-10306-00

MSR $35 is the best way to go. It has 4 bean bag legs that wrap to fit any place with a high traction rubber foam bottom that stays put. You already have the V car mount in the package, fits right in the Portable mount. Another item is the remote powered/amplified antenna with a 6 foot lead. Place a little foam traction tape on the bottom and throw it on the dash near the windshield and reception will not be a problem with any vehicle.These are available on Ebay for $19-$23 and work great in the car and caching in the woods. Mine goes car to car and there is a place to put it in all.

WDP

Bean bag mount!...It's the only way to go! You can just lift it from one vehicle to the next or take it into the motel room with you at night. Very steady and very non-skid.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

The RAM suction cup mount is by far the best. Cycoactivehas them. THe suction cup mounts from Garmin use cups that can not handle the weight very well of a III+ or V.

The bean bag mounts are OK, except when pressing buttons or cornering.

The only downside to the suction cup mounts, any suction cup mounts, is if the vehicle sits in the hot sun the cups turn soft and they tend to fall after a few hours.

Just watch out when using the cycoactive website to order....

I used the website to order my RAM mount and ended up calling instead cause I had questions....

The shipping on the website was one amount and teh shipping via phone was $5.00 more.....I emailed about the issue but no one responded to me yet....

hey, $5 is $5.

quote:
Originally posted by Baloo&bd:

The RAM suction cup mount is by far the best. http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_mounts_ram.htmlhas them. THe suction cup mounts from Garmin use cups that can not handle the weight very well of a III+ or V.

The only downside to the suction cup mounts, any suction cup mounts, is if the vehicle sits in the hot sun the cups turn soft and they tend to fall after a few hours.

quote:

The RAM suction cup mount is by far the best. http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_mounts_ram.htmlhas them. THe suction cup mounts from Garmin use cups that can not handle the weight very well of a III+ or V.

Mine used to fall off in the sun, but a little spit around the edges stopped that. I would like to get a slightly longer arm to put my V away from the window and closer to me.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Posted by Baloo&bd:

quote:
The bean bag mounts are OK, except when pressing buttons or cornering
Geeezzzz......How fast do you take corners?!?! I've used mine since they came out in a Ford F-150 SuperCrew, and except for off-road travel, it behaves like a well trained Lab...Sit and stay!

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Geeezzzz......How fast do you take corners?!?! I've used mine since they came out in a Ford F-150 SuperCrew, and except for off-road travel, it behaves like a well trained Lab...Sit and stay!

First, I'm not in a Ford so I can take the corners a little faster. icon_biggrin.gif

Normal speeds on a sharp corner or curve, it slides on the dash. I put one of those stick type pads under it and then it tips. Talking with other users, this is fairly common and why its so difficult to find a retailer that carries them.

quote:

quote:
I would like to get a slightly longer arm to put my V away from the window and closer to me.

You can get the longer arms either direct from RAM or at cycoactive, however it will put a littl more stress on the suction cup. Don't know how much that will affect it.

Did you see the price for it? $80+! They're nuts!

quote:

Did you see the price for it? $80+! They're nuts!

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are looking at the TOURTECH for $86. While worth every penny, it is designed for high vibration use such as off roading and is overkill for what you want. The unit you want is a gr3s and goes for $49.

I could not find the extension arms, but they do have them. I seem to remember seeing them at the motorcycle or Hamvention for around $15 or $20. Some dealers will sub a longer arm. Give Cycoactive a call, they are pretty easy to deal with.

The best part about the bean bag mount is that you can instantly and effortlessly grab the whole unit, mount and all, off the dash, program it in your hands (as passenger or (parked) driver) and put it back on the dash. As a tall person, the unit it awkwardly far away to program because my seat is so far back.

A variation of this is that I can hand the unit to anyone in the car, including someone in the back seat, to read detailed info off when needed.

I have had the unit beanbag mounted on the dash for over a year between my two vehicales and have had only two minor slipping incidents -- perhaps my dashes are less slippery than others? I corner fairly aggressively when I am alone (passengers object), but both of my slipping incidents have been under hard acceleration (my dash slopes away from the windshield, causing acceleration to be the most dangerous).

In both slipping cases, the slip was slow and gradual, because the high-friction undermaterial prevents it from sliding easily.

quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Eswau:

The Garmin Portable Mount P/N 010-10306-00

MSR $35 is the best way to go. It

Thanks - just put an order in for one ($26)

Eswau

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where did you find this for $26?

Sorry for the delay in responding. I got it at GPSDiscount.com, the same place I got GPS (great service from them)

BTW - The limited time I've had the new style bean bag mount, I've been very happy with it - no slipping or sliding on the dash. I could see in heavy 4WD off road driving it might move some, but for my needs it's just great.

This was exactly what I was looking for.

E

quote:
Originally posted by Eswau:

I've thought about the Garmin beanbag,

That 'other' Garmin beanbag mount, the Portable Mount, works great with the GPS V for us, too. That's what keknj uses in her car.

The new RAM equivelent bean bag mount looks like it would be as good or better, and has the bonus of being able to move the other hardware between other RAM bases.

I use a RAM suction cup mount for my eMap, and have liked it fine, but recently I tried to remove it and some of the rubber stayed on the windhield, ruining the suction cup.

The manufacture has offered to replace it for me under warranty, so that's cool, butI might try the beanbag mount as well.

ApK