Can I enter coordinates in my etrex?

ETCache_$

Just bought my first GPS and did my first GeoCache today! But it would have been a little easier if I could have entered the coordinates into the unit and followed the arrow. Is this possible with and/or without the extra cable? Sorry for the n00b question, but their manual/website is pretty vague.

Many thanks!

Tobias

Yes, of course. I don't have an Etrex and most models vary on how to do it, but usually you can just mark your present postion, scroll down and change the coordinate data field to the coordinates you want, and then save it. Here is a link that make help a little bit: http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/wgarmin.htm

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

I don't have a Yellow, but I think this should work:

Press and hold down the Enter button for 2 or 3 seconds. This will create a waypoint at your current position. Use the up/down buttons to highlight the waypoint coordinates. Press the Enter button. You should now be able to edit the coordinates. Edit the waypoint name and symbol in the same fashion.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

I don't have a Yellow, but I think this should work:

Press and hold down the Enter button for 2 or 3 seconds. This will create a waypoint at your current position. Use the up/down buttons to highlight the waypoint coordinates. Press the Enter button. You should now be able to edit the coordinates. Edit the waypoint name and symbol in the same fashion.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2800.gif

_"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."_

WooHoo! That was the trick.

Many thanks.

Tobias

really simple really. press the page button until you get the page with "mark" and "waypoint" at the top. Highlight mark, press enter, then highlight the coordinates and press enter to change each number. I know it's in the manual somewhere and I was gonna quote that, but can't seem to find it.

quote:
Originally posted by Screed92:

really simple really. press the page button until you get the page with "mark" and "waypoint" at the top. Highlight mark, press enter, then highlight the coordinates and press enter to change each number. I know it's in the manual somewhere and I was gonna quote that, but can't seem to find it.

Actually, it's simplier than that. Just hold in the Enter button to create a waypoint (it's a shortcut). On the models with the click-stick, just hold the click-stick button in.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."