Display Scratches

How about getting a package of those adhesive plastic sheeets that are meant to protect the displays of Palm Pilots and the like? You would have to trim to fit, but they should prevent the majority of minor scratches, and can be replaced when they get dirty, or start to peel off.

icon_mad.gif Grrrr... should have followed Stunod's link before I opened my big yap... oh well...

...is worth a pound of cure.

Purchasing a $15 carrying case to protect several hundred dollars worth of GPSr was a 'No Brainer' for me. I don't know what brand/model of GPSr you're using, but eTrex cases permit full use of the unit without having to remove it from its protective carrier. Not only does the display window go unscratched, the body/housing of the GPSr is saved from the assorted scrapes and grinds that can come from in-field use.

ontario1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Foster Clan:

So what does everyone do to fix scratches on their displays? I used some toothpaste last night on mine and it helped a little but I wouldn't mind making it better if possible.

Plastic polish/cleaner available from your local auto store also helps out a bit. McGuire's supposedly makes some, but I couldn't find it. I picked up some Blue Coral plastic cleaner/polish at AutoZone a while back and it fixed up some problems on my Meridian's display quite well (a few scratches and a whole of plastic blotches from getting bug spray on the plastic).

I took my GPSr to Africa a couple of years ago and managed to get a nasty scratch right in the middle of the screen. Out in the middle of nowhere there wasn't much to do about it. The next town we got to I found a jeweller and paid him a couple of dollars to polish it out. I suspect it was the strangest request he's ever had (by the looks I got) but it cleared up the screen.

quote:
Originally posted by SIDEWINDER:

I would second the good info on the Maguires products for getting out the scratches. The prevention of more problems with the screen protectors by Strong Engineering are well worth the money.

sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

Ditto I've used Mirror Glaze on a Gameboy that was heavily scratched up. It won't take out the big ones but it will polish up the little scratches.

Though after getting my first scratch on my GPS V I got some screen protectors for christmas and I've been happy to use them. It just saved me from some scratches in the middle of my screen. Of course now I need to put on another screen protector...

Wherever you go there you are.

I knoe that iFinders are not popular around here but I have had one now for about 6 months. They feature colored "Face offs" that you can buy for $15.00 to change the color of the unit. I thought "big deal!". But what they don't teel you is that it includes the clear plastic screen covering. So for 15 bucks you get a brand new screen!

I tried cutting down a "write right" from my palm PDA.

The matte finish reflected a lot of light making it hard to see in a car, up on the dash. I see better with the smooth surface of the screen.

I just ordered a pack from Strong, and I'll let y'all know if they are better.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

Thanks for the tips gang. The Legend I bought the other day was the in store demo and had a few scratches on the display. I didn't think too much of it then (my wife knew I wouldn't be happy) but bought it any way. Now that I've used it for a few days, I'm getting annoyed. Like I said, I used some tooth paste but the grit is so fine in it, it will take too long to work. I'll swing by Walmart and see what I can pick up tonight after the Monster Truck Jam.

Jon.

Shayl.gif

Come visit us on the web!!

The JJ&C Railroad

Is there a way of applying a liquid on the screen, and putting a piece of plastic over that?

That might help to minimize the scratches.

The Venture, Legend, and Vista have the highest pixels per inch of any GPS ive seen, so any scratches would be a problem.

Always different...Hit refresh

maze?90+35+4+1+0+0+0+0+255+255+255

I bought a cover for my Legend and it is working great. It is a non-Garmin brand made specifically for the eTrex series (I removed the label, so I don't know who makes it, but they are sold on eBay for around $12 to $14).

It is mostly neoprene, has a zipper for closure, a plastic swivel belt clip, and a velcro loop on the back for attaching to handle bars. The problem was that the clear vinyl front window covered the click stick and was not pliant enough to consistently use the stick. I used a hole punch to place a clean hole in the vinyl window over the click stick area and it works great now. There are also clear vinyl windows for the side buttons and they work fine without modification.

It provides all the protection I was looking for in case of drops and scratches and keeps out the dust. I found I could undo the velcro loop and attach the GPSr to my dash board cover right in front of the steering wheel while driving.

Veni, Vidi, Cachi ...

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Ditto I've used Mirror Glaze on a Gameboy that was heavily scratched up. It won't take out the big ones but it will polish up the little scratches.

For less than $5 you can get a NEW Gameboy screen and it is way easy to change (as long as you follow the diresctions to the letter) I have changed 3 or 4 on the GBC and 1 on a GBA (kids). Just go to the Nintendo store web page and search for "screen" and buy a replacement kit.

I don't know why Garmin doesn't do the same thing for eTrex etc. (even if it viods the waterproof spec, rain would not hurt it, in fact I would bet that an eTrex screen is installed in a virtually identical manner as a Gameboy screen)

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.