Comparing basemaps: garmin vs Magellan

EtrexRose

Who's basemap, the Garmin's Rino/Legend/Vista basemap, or the magellan Meridian Gold/Platinum basemap, is better???

Comparing them for, completness, accuracy, date, and shorline detail.

From my experience, the garmin's have not had many complaints basemap wise, but it seems all basemaps are a little off in certain parts.

Just curious what ppl think, I will compare for sure when I get my Rino 120, (my brother has a Meridian Gold, so I will get that info after Christmas.

Does it really matter if your getting detailed maps?

But according to Joe and Jacks web site the meridian gold/plat/marine series have more detailed basemaps. The basemaps in the magellan units are also updatable, so errors in the basemap can be fixed. The garmin units will have the same basemap for the length of the unit.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Depending on the model of Magellan they have anywhere from a 2MB (base Meridian) to an 8 MB (330) to a 16 MB (Gold/Plat. Mer.) basemap. I did some quick comparisons between my eMap basemap and the Meridian Base/Gold/Plat. maps for the SF Eastbay area and was surprised to see that the Garmin showed just about as much street detail as the 16 MB map in the Gold/Plat. and clearly much more than the base Meridian. Didn't check shoreline accuracy but wouldn't expect much from any of the basemaps in that area. One additional feature of the Garmin basemap that is very useful on long trips is the interstate highway exit database listing rest stops, exits with services and which particular businesses are at each. I don't use the basemap very much, but on long trips I'll just load detailed maps for the destination and stopover points and leave the basemap for the extended stretches of interstate travel so the exit data is nice to have.

The big plus for the Magellans is that the basemaps are upgradable and interchangable so you can load a European map when traveling there.

The shorline (the ones that border the oceans at least) on my meridian basemap looks nearly as good as those that are downloaded from mapsend. I think this is the biggest diffrence betwwen the 8mb basemap found in the 330 and the 16 mb found in the higher meridians.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.